U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,767,298 times

Advertisements

The videos made by my phone are 3gp and I'm told that's a container format. I read the wiki article on container formats. What's the idea of using a container format like 3gp instead one file format like mpeg?

Do all cell phones store video as 3gp? What about Iphones? I have an older Android HTC phone.

Also, PNG is getting popular for stills as they are not loessy. Will it be the default for cameras and phone cameras one day, instead of jpg? It's the default on Paint for Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The videos made by my phone are 3gp and I'm told that's a container format. I read the wiki article on container formats. What's the idea of using a container format like 3gp instead one file format like mpeg?

A container can have many different types of video and audio, AVI and MOV are also container files. Looking at the specs for 3gp:
Quote:
3GP and 3G2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 3GP file format stores video streams as MPEG-4 Part 2 or H.263 or MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264), and audio streams as AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AMR-WB+, AAC-LC, HE-AAC v1 or Enhanced aacPlus (HE-AAC v2).
If the author of the video is targeting 3gp compatibility they can use any of those vieo or audio codecs. Other containers may be different, AVI can contain just about any type of video or audio. You need the codec installed to play it.

Quote:
Also, PNG is getting popular for stills as they are not loessy.
PNG is significantly larger in file size but that is really not much of an issue anymore. Certainly possible it could become the norm.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,767,298 times
Looks like iphone videos are m4v.

This container thing is confusing. What matters most is that almost all uptodate cell phone videos will be playable on the latest Windows Media Players on computers, or Android. Android is different from computers in that you don't really see the video player program. You just click the video in an attachment or gallery and it plays it.

QuickTime is yet another one, and is preferred by Apple. I think you can't play QT on WMP.

My point is there are too many goddang video formats.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

My point is there are too many goddang video formats.
There is a purpose for many of them, and some of them are competing which is a good thing.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM

843 posts, read 1,875,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is a purpose for many of them, and some of them are competing which is a good thing.
It certainly keeps the options open, at this point I'd think there's a container that can handle any audio/video needs.. and many (or all?) are encoding agnostic so you can compress how you please.

What I think annoys a lot of people is confusion between containers and encoding.. and that the landscape is changing fast..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers