U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM

12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
That's a little heavy handed to get rid of some popups....

"Damn, my spark plug's acting up, guess it's time to rebuild the engine"
Google some nasty viruses and the recommendation is always this. Those programs to get rid of this stuff never work 100% of the time if it's a nasty one. It may not show up again right away but it's never really gone until you format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Google some nasty viruses and the recommendation is always this. Those programs to get rid of this stuff never work 100% of the time if it's a nasty one. It may not show up again right away but it's never really gone until you format.
Because that's the shotgun approach to fixing things.
It should be the last option.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Because that's the shotgun approach to fixing things.
It should be the last option.
Exactly. It is not even the tool(s) people use but how they use it that makes the biggest difference. Using the wrong tool or the right tool in a wrong way can be disastrous too!

Key things about malware removal:

1- Typically by using a diagnostic tool, you must first identify what, if at all, you system was infected with. This is, arguably, the most critical step. When you know what you are infected with, you will know whether an effective disinfection method exists or not. If there is, you will find out which tool(s) to use and how to use them.

2- Once you identify the infection/culprit, then malware savvy people will recommend the precise method to get rid of it, not just a few lines of telling you, run this, run that and pray. Assuming you found the right kind of help, you will be given specific info on the steps you need to follow. Do follow those steps, completely and in the same order.

3- Once the cleanup process is completed, diagnostics need to be run on this system to confirm the disinfection was successful. This step is a must do when dealing with an infection that is not clearly identified or known to be very hard to remove.

4- Whether the disinfection was successful or it wasn't and you ended up having to do a full format/re-install which should be always the final resort, you will have to take preventative measures to ensure the incident will not re-occur.

Majority of the infections caused by user's surfing (bad) habits. It could be sites you visit, the browser you use, lacking security add-ons or common add-ons like Flash or Java being out of date. Naively opening e-mail attachments or clicking on links within e-mails are all too common. Education yourself on not only how to strengthen your browser's and computer's security but also educate yourself about the common threats (Trojans, phishing, etc.).

If you are not knowledgeable on this topic or could use a re-hash, ask on tech forums and there will always be someone to give you more info than you can handle, guaranteed!

Here is related sticky from another tech forum:
Quote:
Now, please begin the Initial Cleaning Process:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.
DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

REBOOT the Computer-VERY IMPORTANT

Please Run the ESET Online Scanner and attach the ScanLog with your post for assistance.
You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.
Be sure the option to Remove found threats is checked and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please post that log for us as directed below.

NOTE: If you are unable to complete the ESET scan, please try another from the list below:

BitDefender Online Scan
Panda Active Scan

Trend Micro HouseCall

F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

After the initial cleaning has been completed:

Please take note of any problems that you had with the above instructions and any problems that remain.
Finally please do the following:

[SIZE=3]Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/dds
Be sure follow the instructions below carefully
• If your AV has a script blocker, please disable it
• DoubleClick on dds.scr to run the tool
* A command box will open, displaying added information for your reading pleasure while DDS completes its scan.
* Upon completion, a Dialog Box should open instructing you to save and post the TWO resulting logs (DDS.txt & Attach.txt).
Copy&Paste both the DDS.txt and the DDS Attach.txt into your post for assistance.[/SIZE]
The site became a ghost forum since it fell victim to Google's search filtering and couple of database lost several years back but the info is still very applicable and useful.

There is one about preventing malware as well!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM

12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times
Good luck messing with all sorts of random crappy malware detectors and end up having to format anyways.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Good luck messing with all sorts of random crappy malware detectors and end up having to format anyways.
And you might be right, which brings up a step that I always do but forgot to mention:

If the system is operational, salvage whatever critical, irreplaceable data there might be BEFORE taking any kind of action. I typically remove the drive and "slave" it to a clean working system or more so, use a USB docking station to access its non-encrypted content to recover whatever data that needed to be recovered. Alternate but easier method for systems that are really slow or hard to do anything on, would be to boot in Safe Mode, disable all startup entries, then reboot again to copy the needed data, manually, to an external drive or USB Flash stick.

ONLY then, would I recommend anyone starting the disinfection process because there is always a chance the system can get botched and become non-operational/unbootable.

Then proceed with diagnostics to see what you got hit with, then assess the situation to determine if a re-format would make sense or not.

My home computer has all critical data already backed up (multiple external copies), the nice-to-have data is backed up periodically but it is not must-have so if my HD died or I got infected with a really pesky infection where I spent a solid half an hour and the outlook is not positive, I pull the plug and proceed with a re-format.

I can re-image a machine in about 30 minutes. Then it is a matter of installing whatever secondary apps I may need and updating them as well as Windows. Sometimes a fresh install makes sense, even if there is no malware infection.

The trick is knowing which would be wiser; invest time to:
Quote:
A) Save what you currently have
- or -
B) Do a fresh install and move on.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,461 times
It should be case by case, not blanket "better reinstall." For me, if it were my machine, it takes about as long as installing windows and updating to get me back up and running, plus a few programs/games I like to have. It usually takes me around 3-5 hours to get everything installed and updated on an SSD and decent internet connection. All my important stuff is synced or clouded somewhere.

If I had to back up someone's crap, scour the drive to make sure I didn't miss a word file in some obscure place that would surely be detrimental if they lost, reinstall every program they had, set up their settings the way they had it, etc, it usually takes a full day plus overnight updates.

If I have some Conduit infection or some small-time crapware/malware, I will spend 15-30 minutes cleaning it up and it's back out the door.

If it's a decrepit machine that could use a fresh install anyway and it's really something you don't want to deal with, go for it. 99% of the time it's something that MWB and TDSSK or RKill can handle quite easily. CClean at the end for posterity.

When my carpet gets dirty, I don't rip it out and replace it unless it's filthy enough to warrant it or I want new carpet anyway.

You have to factor time, risk, reward and impatience of your customer/grandmother/yourself/whoever you're doing this for.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
It should be case by case, not blanket "better reinstall." For me, if it were my machine, it takes about as long as installing windows and updating to get me back up and running, plus a few programs/games I like to have. It usually takes me around 3-5 hours to get everything installed and updated on an SSD and decent internet connection. All my important stuff is synced or clouded somewhere.
3-5 hours?

This is why I always create an image of my system after all must-have apps/games and Windows updates are installed.

Quote:
If I had to back up someone's crap, scour the drive to make sure I didn't miss a word file in some obscure place that would surely be detrimental if they lost, reinstall every program they had, set up their settings the way they had it, etc, it usually takes a full day plus overnight updates.
That is when I call in the Cavalry! I make a sector-by-sector copy of their drive to a spare blank drive first, then confirm it was successful. Afterwards, re-format and do a fresh install.

Quote:
If I have some Conduit infection or some small-time crapware/malware, I will spend 15-30 minutes cleaning it up and it's back out the door.
That is pretty much my routine, no more than 30 minutes. If I don't see a noticeable improvement/progress the first 10 minutes, I typically pull the plug.

Often people get lucky and disable or partially clean a system after running a boatload of tools but they fail to realize that the system before the infection was obviously unsafe to begin with so a compromised system will never be 100% safe and secure even if it seems to be running a-OK on the surface.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,461 times
The windows install usually takes like.....what, 6-8 minutes on an SSD? The rest is reconstructing

I do use clonezilla sometimes after a fresh install, but most of the time I get lazy and don't, then wish I had the next time I do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers