Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,724 times

Advertisements

I need to replace my HDD on my current computer, which is an old sony vaio tower from 2005. I do not need any data off of this, I already have whats important saved elsewhere. The current HDD originally had Windows XP MCE but I purchased the update to Windows 8 Pro online in 2012 (when it was $39.99). I still have the key- my question is will I need to use to original restore disks for this computer (i.e. bring it back to XP) and then upgrade to 8? Or can I do a clean install of windows 8 on the new HDD? I got a burned copy of windows 8 pro 32 bit that I could use if I can do the windows 8 clean install. Will my product key, which is an upgrade, work as a clean install? How will I know that my product key will work and not tell me that the key is already in use- I don't want to buy another copy of Windows, I don't think I should have to...

Also, what will happen when I first turn on my computer with the new HDD? Since there is no OS, do I need to manually do something to the computer before I remove the current HDD so that it knows what to do? I am hoping this is pretty simple and it will just ask me for the restore disk or windows OS disk.

I've never replaced a HDD or reinstalled an OS before so if anybody has any guides or advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
As far as I'm aware MS still requires you to have an OS on the PC before W8 will activate without registry edits. If you want to check this link, it'll help you:
How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8 with an Upgrade Disc

Basically, you can install with the upgrade media, but it won't activate until you turn off a flag in the registry. As far as registry edits go, this one is super easy, so don't be scared away from that.

Quote:
Also, what will happen when I first turn on my computer with the new HDD? Since there is no OS, do I need to manually do something to the computer before I remove the current HDD so that it knows what to do? I am hoping this is pretty simple and it will just ask me for the restore disk or windows OS disk.
One of the first things the PC does when you turn it on is it looks for bootable media, whether it be a CD or a hard drive or a thumbdrive or network or whatever. Since you're going to have a blank hard drive in the PC, it'll tell you to insert media for installation. If media is already inserted, as long as the device you're using to read the media (like the DVD drive) is listed in the boot list, it will boot automatically.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
One of the first things the PC does when you turn it on is it looks for bootable media, whether it be a CD or a hard drive or a thumbdrive or network or whatever. Since you're going to have a blank hard drive in the PC, it'll tell you to insert media for installation. If media is already inserted, as long as the device you're using to read the media (like the DVD drive) is listed in the boot list, it will boot automatically.
The bios has a place to list the sequence of the media for the unit to look for an OS system.
If the DVD is not on the top will it still look for the DVD or wherever the OS is stored ?

Like:
Oops, no media in HDD -
now go to the next source in line, etc

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
The bios has a place to list the sequence of the media for the unit to look for an OS system.
If the DVD is not on the top will it still look for the DVD or wherever the OS is stored ?

Like:
Oops, no media in HDD -
now go to the next source in line, etc
Yes, it starts from the top and goes down the line. If at the end nothing is there, it'll just say "no bootable device" or something like that.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:30 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Yes, it starts from the top and goes down the line. If at the end nothing is there, it'll just say "no bootable device" or something like that.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers