U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,183,074 times

Advertisements

I have a brand new computer and an older (not that old) wireless printer. Downloading drivers from hp. I select for windows 8.1, while I can download the software, it fails to install. When I troubleshoot it. The first time I tried it said that the software was compatible with windows xp, I deleted that one downloaded another and it failed to install, I trouble shoot and it says it is compatible with windows 7. What the heck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Hey 70ford! You can call ME anything you like, just tell me what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:57 PM

16,955 posts, read 17,129,775 times
Did you install the correct BIT version (32 bit or 64 bit) and correct OS version, 8 or 8.1?

I would recommend that you completely uninstall all drivers that you have for your printer via device manager and control panel, install/uninstall programs. Delete any printer drivers/software for that printer and re-download the correct version of software. Check connections of your printer, turn on printer and then install the correct software....paying close attention to the on-screen instructions.

Software & driver downloads HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support

Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Did you install the correct BIT version (32 bit or 64 bit) and correct OS version, 8 or 8.1?

I would recommend that you completely uninstall all drivers that you have for your printer via device manager and control panel, install/uninstall programs. Delete any printer drivers/software for that printer and re-download the correct version of software. Check connections of your printer, turn on printer and then install the correct software....paying close attention to the on-screen instructions.

Software & driver downloads HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support
Yes I attempted to install the one for windows 8.1 64 bit.

It did come with something called hp aio remote, already installed. It does operate the printer, but there does not seem to be a way to use the scan option or check the ink levels or any of the other stuff. I downloaded the hp install wizard right off of that app. It actually kind of indicated it would do it, but, that try failed also. You are probably right that I need to uninstall all those drivers. They seem to be hiding from me at this time.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM

16,955 posts, read 17,129,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Yes I attempted to install the one for windows 8.1 64 bit.

It did come with something called hp aio remote, already installed. It does operate the printer, but there does not seem to be a way to use the scan option or check the ink levels or any of the other stuff. I downloaded the hp install wizard right off of that app. It actually kind of indicated it would do it, but, that try failed also. You are probably right that I need to uninstall all those drivers. They seem to be hiding from me at this time.

Yes, COMPLETELY uninstall the program via control panel......then check in device manager for any of the related drivers still in place....uninstall those if you see them. The after you do a fresh installation of the newest driver for your device......you still may have to go into HP settings menu and turn on options that are not working (sometimes the default setting is OFF).

Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 AM

I halfway solved my problem, I think? Maybe not. I was looking into some stuff that was on my computer and I found information that I should enter the ip address of the printer into my browser. I did and lo and behold, a program appeared called webscan. This basically shows my ink levels and also allows me to scan pictures that I put in my computer. Now, a problem I have is, I can't find the location of these scanned pictures on my computer. What a mess.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM

8,466 posts, read 4,497,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I halfway solved my problem, I think? Maybe not. I was looking into some stuff that was on my computer and I found information that I should enter the ip address of the printer into my browser. I did and lo and behold, a program appeared called webscan. This basically shows my ink levels and also allows me to scan pictures that I put in my computer. Now, a problem I have is, I can't find the location of these scanned pictures on my computer. What a mess.
OMG, I've never had such a nightmare installing a printer! Since Microsoft ended support for WIN XP,which is what my PC runs,I was thinking of getting a new system with WIN 8.1 Touchscreen,and also wanted to get an all-in-one printer,but I am not very Tech-savy and now I'm really nervous!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM

175 posts, read 236,236 times
It likely is the age of the drivers, but you may want to try the HP Diagnostic Tools for printer troubleshooting -

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c02073861

Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 PM

21,539 posts, read 24,660,490 times
FWIW HP's in general for close to two decades have never gotten the interface to work correctly for their AIO printers when OSs change. Usually one ends up with either addresses or links to each part of the AIO, but rarely get the interface to work. This is a main reasons I stopped using HP AIOs and moved to Brother AIOs. Easiest way to skip all these headaches is to jump to a Brother AIO. Usually you can catch them, inkjet, on sale for under $60 and then head over to ebay and get extra cartridges for around $6-$10.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
HP is moving to universal drivers, which at least allow printing to legacy printers. If you want to copy and scan without a driver specific to that OS, you're probably going to be out of luck.

Best option, in that case, is to use up the ink you have on hand for that printer and replace the printer with a compatible model when it runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or