U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 11,784 times

Advertisements

There was a commercial on TV for a .com site that offers to provide XP support for $50 a year - has anyone else seen it? I don't remember the name of the site - tried a websearch, but no luck. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this discussion.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 PM

30,930 posts, read 17,189,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker Belle View Post
There was a commercial on TV for a .com site that offers to provide XP support for $50 a year - has anyone else seen it? I don't remember the name of the site - tried a websearch, but no luck. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this discussion.)
Sounds like you're thinking of PC Matic. Here's the website: PC MaticĀ® with SuperShield - As Seen on TV!

This is still fresh in my mind because I saw the commercial a little earlier this evening.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,760,637 times
Quote:
Or for a few more bucks, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows and have MS give you support.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:24 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,759,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Just wondering how many here still run Windows XP on any of their computers?

Are you going to upgrade your current computer to a newer version of Windows?

Or buy a new PC?

Or continue to run Windows XP, and hope your computer doesn't get infected or hacked?

Your thoughts .....
Since I really don't have the money to get a new computer (I'm saving my funds to move in October), I'm just gonna keep XP on my desktop and fix up my Gateway laptop and put the window 7 hard drive in it (instead of the hard drive w/ Vista). I need to get the LCD screen replaced, since it stopped working altogether (motherboard is running fine). A good, updated antivirus and Malware bytes scans will be sufficient enough for me.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Consider just about any advert you see on TV for PC AV/tune/speed up as a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
[color=Blue][font=Arial]Sounds like you're thinking of PC Matic.
Especially that one.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 AM

9,053 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Consider just about any advert you see on TV for PC AV/tune/speed up as a scam.

Especially that one.
Definitely.

Consider just about any pitch that tries to sell you something based on "end of support" fear as a scam. Including Microsoft's contention that you must "upgrade" your OS to keep your computer "safe".

Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,703,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Definitely.

Consider just about any pitch that tries to sell you something based on "end of support" fear as a scam. Including Microsoft's contention that you must "upgrade" your OS to keep your computer "safe".
Sigh.

Those ads are a scam, but XP is a huge target that almost certainly has major holes in it waiting to be discovered and exploited, and now there's no one to fix them. People should migrate away from it to something modern as soon as they can.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sigh.

Those ads are a scam, but XP is a huge target that almost certainly has major holes in it waiting to be discovered and exploited, and now there's no one to fix them. People should migrate away from it to something modern as soon as they can.
Who would have thought?

Ok, suppose you tell us all about how you were attacked and exploited while running "unsupported" OSs - and please be specific with detail. Don't bother with incidents that resulted from opening e-mail attachments from unknown/untrusted senders and the like....as they are user issues, not OS issues.

There's a scam out there, alright. And the line you're parroting is the largest part of it.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Microsoft Windows Xp : List of security vulnerabilities

Almost none of those have anything to do with opening an untrusted email.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Microsoft Windows Xp : List of security vulnerabilities

Almost none of those have anything to do with opening an untrusted email.
Great. A laundry list of "threats" that almost no one understands....almost no one will be affected by....but use the term "remote attacker" to open wallets en mass.

Same question to you....tell us all about how you were attacked and exploited while running "unsupported" OSs - and please be specific with detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or