U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 07:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Great. A laundry list of "threats" that almost no one understands....almost no one will be affected by....but use the term "remote attacker" to open wallets en mass.
Let me guess. You're running IE6 too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:28 PM

1,085 posts, read 830,721 times
I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and update and run it on a regular basis. I do not have Java installed, do not open unknown attachments, and update my program patches for XP and other programs on a regular basis.

Despite all that, a couple of years ago, MSE would be unable to update. I ran Malwarebytes without much success, along with booting from my other operating system and trying the same techniques. I ended up saving my files to the other drive, reformatting, and reinstalling.

This was back when Windows XP was supported. I wish I knew how I had gotten infected, so that I could avoid doing whatever caused it. I can not remember having an antivirus program block an active threat in real time. I think these antivirus programs are more feel-good than actual protection. I also doubt the chicken littles claiming the sky will be falling if we do not update to another operating system.

I have recently installed EMET on both drives. How much additional protection this will provide, I do not know.

Last edited by mshultz; 06-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM

9,071 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and update and run it on a regular basis. I do not have Java installed, do not open unknown attachments, and update my program patches for XP and other programs on a regular basis.

Despite all that, a couple of years ago, MSE would be unable to update. I ran Malwarebytes without much success, along with booting from my other operating system and trying the same techniques. I ended up saving my files to the other drive, reformatting, and reinstalling.

This was back when Windows XP was supported. I wish I knew how I had gotten infected, so that I could avoid doing whatever caused it. I can not remember having an antivirus program block an active threat in real time. I think these antivirus programs are more feel-good than actual protection. I also doubt the chicken littles claiming the sky will be falling if we do not update to another operating system.

I have recently installed EMET on both drives. How much additional protection this will provide, I do not know.
I'm unclear as to why you say you were "infected" and what you were infected with. MSE not updating would not be by itself any indicator of infection.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I'm unclear as to why you say you were "infected" and what you were infected with. MSE not updating would not be by itself any indicator of infection.
MSE would fail when a manual update was attempted. The monthly Windows Malicious Software tool would also fail to install. Malwarebtyes could not be installed on this drive. Installing it and running it from my other drive and operating system did produce a hit, which I told it to remove. However, that did not correct the problems with my primary drive and operating system. At that point, reformat and reinstall was the easiest solution.

I do not remember whether I was using IE to browse back then. I use Pale Moon, a Firefox variant, now. I only use IE for Windows Update and to earn contact hours for continuing education for work. The continuing education site does not work properly with Pale Moon.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM

9,071 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
MSE would fail when a manual update was attempted. The monthly Windows Malicious Software tool would also fail to install. Malwarebtyes could not be installed on this drive. Installing it and running it from my other drive and operating system did produce a hit, which I told it to remove. However, that did not correct the problems with my primary drive and operating system. At that point, reformat and reinstall was the easiest solution.

I do not remember whether I was using IE to browse back then. I use Pale Moon, a Firefox variant, now. I only use IE for Windows Update and to earn contact hours for continuing education for work. The continuing education site does not work properly with Pale Moon.
So what exactly was the "hit" that MWB found?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Same question to you....tell us all about how you were attacked and exploited while running "unsupported" OSs - and please be specific with detail.
I haven't because I don't run an unsupported OS. I like to stay current with Operating Systems. Windows XP was great...13 years ago.
Windows 7 is FAR superior in every way. Windows 8 is FINALLY pretty damn good, too.

I DO agree with you that MS can be a very greedy company with pricing models.
Let's look at MS Server. My boss asked "Hey, how much is a new mail server?"
The server hardware? $900.
"Sweet, let's get one..."
No so fast. It's another $2,500 for Server 2010. Another $4,000 for Exchange Server 2012. Plus we need to buy CAL's for 50 employees, that's another $3,000.....

But $100-$130 for a new OS every 6 or 7 years? That's REALLY too much for you?
Your OS is 13 years old! 13 years ago we didn't even have smartphones. Technology has changed.
How you are OK with this is beyond me. Windows XP flat is flat out junk compared to 7. And Windows 7 will be supported until 2020. So between 2001 and 2020 you can't be "bothered" to spend another $100 on a new OS? Really? Release a few dollars from your wallet and upgrade already.
This is not a SCAM to push you out of parting with a few dollars. IT IS TIME TO UPGRADE.

Or, god forbid, you get Windows 8 which will be supported until 2023.

I will say it one last time because it seriously bears repeating: WINDOWS XP IS GARBAGE COMPARED TO WINDOWS 7 AND 8!!!

Have you seen the task manager in Windows 8? That ONE feature alone is worth upgrading for. The new Task Manager is FANTASTIC. Not even in the same ballpark as 7/XP's.

App History? AWESOME! Startup programs, right there? AWESOME. No more MS CONFIG.

One of the other KILLER features of Windows 8 is real time stats when copying files. Not just a gimmicky graphic. SERIOUSLY useful. If you start copying like a 5GB file, you walk away, come back and realize... aw geez, this is going to take an hour??? I wanted to get in a quick game of *** before bed and that will make it run slow...

Windows XP? CANCEL... and then wait a few minutes while it actually stops the copy job. How frustrating is that?
Windows 8? PAUSE. That's right. PAUSE a copy and resume when you want. Check out the pause button in the upper corner.

I will freely admit I did NOT love 8 when it first came out. Didn't HATE it... but didn't love it.
With the latest updates it is really recommendable.

It's time people. Time to dump XP at the very least for Windows 7.

Notice I make a pretty good case for upgrading and I didn't use ONE scare tactic???
IT. IS. TIME.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
So what exactly was the "hit" that MWB found?
I do not remember. Some sort of virus or malware. Telling Malwarebyte to remove it did not solve any of the problems.

At that point, the most efficient solution was to copy the files I wanted to save onto the second drive, reformat and reinstall. I keep an installation log for each operating system, so that I can reinstall and get back to the same setup.

Last edited by mshultz; 06-10-2014 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
So basically it was just quarantine and not anything to do with the problem you were having as malware. They have a reinstall reinstall because its just a control over what you want to allow.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,146,542 times
My mother still uses it and it's slow as hell -_-

Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 AM

8,470 posts, read 4,502,317 times
It is now July 2014 and yesterday I got POP-UP supposedly from Windows Update for a malicious software removal tool.Since all support supposedly ended for XP [which I have] in April, what the heck is up with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or