U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 11:34 AM

8,471 posts, read 4,502,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why would anyone NOT be running SP1?
I am running SP3,LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am running SP3,LOL!
Not on Windows 7 you're not. The quote you included was referring to Windows 7, not XP.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM

6,816 posts, read 12,025,769 times
I'll put linux mint on my computers still using XP.. and if I need to run a program that can only be run in Windows, I've got my Win7 laptop for that.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Why would anyone NOT be running SP1?
The latest and greatest don't always work for every company or agency running software that caters to their business. For example, the electronic health record that my agency runs will not work with Internet Explorer 11. It will work with IE 9 & 10. Quite a few businesses have a wait and see approach to upgrades before they blinding accept every update Microsoft pushes out. Moreover, some companies have a strict policy on enabling Windows Update. They would rather their IT department push out the updates than for the end user to take it upon themselves, especially if it could cause an issue with mission critical software said company runs.

So it's not uncommon for folks to not download the latest service pack for Windows. It's not even uncommon for companies, and individuals alike, to still be running Windows XP for certain tasks that Windows Vista and above cannot do or either will cause that individual or company to shell out more money for the upgraded software. Sometimes it's quite plausible that the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Now in terms of simply using a computer for leisure activities, sure, there's a good argument against using old stuff, especially if your leisure activity is going to be mainly web surfing.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
At this point SP3 is safe and proven and everyone should be running it.
Well aware of compatability issues with IE but when it comes to Service Packs, specifically SP3 for XP, I highly doubt anyone is NOT running it.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
At this point SP3 is safe and proven and everyone should be running it.
Well aware of compatability issues with IE but when it comes to Service Packs, specifically SP3 for XP, I highly doubt anyone is NOT running it.
More than likely at this point, if people are still using XP, they're probably running SP3. But when it comes to computers that might be running offline, then it's not really needed if security is the issue. We have computers that are offline that we use, strictly, for our swipe card software that controls the card entry on our doors. They're still running on Windows XP.

The Medicaid Department in the state of VA, just a few months ago, was running web software that was not compatible with anything above IE 8. They told me they had no plans to upgrade in the future - this was after the April 8th date! Of course I told them the state required all of their agencies to be updated to at least Windows Vista by summer and IE 9, but that didn't seem to phase them. So, it's just things like that where companies and agencies run into - which causes them not to run the latest and greatest. What might be proven in a general term might not always be proven for every situation.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM

3,753 posts, read 10,001,650 times
The better question is why is anyone still trying to use internet explorer? Even the Dept of Homeland Security made an announcement a couple months ago, asking everyone to stop using it!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
can you please tell me what I need to do once Windows XP expire?
You can go to linux. Smart phones run it and the PC versions are really good. I know a guy who installed it on his XP machine. He just put in a disk and then answered some questions like language, time zone, etc. In about 20 minutes he was up and running with linux and an office package.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:28 PM

150 posts, read 128,547 times
I've been using Linux for almost all purposes for several years now, currently on Mint 17 Mate. One of my hobbies is installing various Linux OSs on very old computers for older people who don't need/want to buy a new machine.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The better question is why is anyone still trying to use internet explorer? Even the Dept of Homeland Security made an announcement a couple months ago, asking everyone to stop using it!
I think Microsoft has patched those security holes by now. But to answer your question, there are some web programs that just work better in IE than the other web browsers. I hate that though, because I've never been a fan of Internet Explorer. Dating back to the days of IE verses Netscape, the first thing I would do is install Netscape! Miss that web browser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or