U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 10:23 AM

3,011 posts, read 4,780,113 times

Advertisements

I still use windows XP on my HP Pavilion. This computer will not die. I get the blue screen of death once in awhile too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 PM

25,181 posts, read 18,675,659 times
I don't get why anyone would still be on XP, at all, unless you have such an obsolete machine that it simply cannot run Windows 7. If it's that old, you are likely running into performance problems elsewhere that will be frustrating. My family's oldest machine is a Q6600 with 6GB of RAM. I bought this machine from Dell in mid 2007 and the fans/mechanical HDD/DVD drive were physically wearing out, but I bought a used motherboard off a tech forum, used a case/PSU I had laying around, and bought a 128GB SSD for it. My dad still uses it as a main machine - it boots very quick, runs 8.1 with classic shell flawlessly, and the machine was completely rebuilt for about $170. It is more than adequate for daily usage. If you are using something older than that, then parts are physically wearing it before performance is too bad, at least for average users. I have a modern system - I7 3770k @ 4.1 ghz overclock + turbo, 32GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD with a couple TB of internal storage - I keep an XP VM for old games I cannot get working with compatibility mode.

I worked at help desks for years and connecting to Windows XP machines has been a nightmare. Windows 7 - you just put in the host name or local IP on Windows Assistance and go, unless there is something otherwise preventing that. There are few driver or security updates for XP, and it's becoming more difficult to track down legacy drivers. XP is difficult to service and maintain, at least at the consumer level. With 7/8, I can reimage most PCs and have them usable in an hour. With XP, I have to get a thumb drive to transfer network drivers, and then hope to God I can find everything else.

People need to get off XP, yesterday. It is obsolete, full of security and driver holes, and is simply archaic.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
You can go to linux. Smart phones run it and the PC versions are really good. I know a guy who installed it on his XP machine. He just put in a disk and then answered some questions like language, time zone, etc. In about 20 minutes he was up and running with linux and an office package.
Smartphones run it but they don't run bare Linux and they definitely don't let the user interact with Linux (without rooting the phone).

Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't get why anyone would still be on XP, at all, unless you have such an obsolete machine that it simply cannot run Windows 7.
I ask the IRS why they run Windows XP every year. Every time I update our website, we get a call from the IRS saying that it doesn't work on IE 8 anymore. Every time we have to add back in support for the old browser. Quite an annoyance.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I ask the IRS why they run Windows XP every year. Every time I update our website, we get a call from the IRS saying that it doesn't work on IE 8 anymore. Every time we have to add back in support for the old browser. Quite an annoyance.
Government agencies and government contractors have cement feet when moving forward on IT projects. It is to be expected, no matter how inefficient.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 AM

9,076 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
I don't get why anyone would still be on XP, at all, unless you have such an obsolete machine that it simply cannot run Windows 7. If it's that old, you are likely running into performance problems elsewhere that will be frustrating. My family's oldest machine is a Q6600 with 6GB of RAM. I bought this machine from Dell in mid 2007 and the fans/mechanical HDD/DVD drive were physically wearing out, but I bought a used motherboard off a tech forum, used a case/PSU I had laying around, and bought a 128GB SSD for it. My dad still uses it as a main machine - it boots very quick, runs 8.1 with classic shell flawlessly, and the machine was completely rebuilt for about $170. It is more than adequate for daily usage. If you are using something older than that, then parts are physically wearing it before performance is too bad, at least for average users. I have a modern system - I7 3770k @ 4.1 ghz overclock + turbo, 32GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD with a couple TB of internal storage - I keep an XP VM for old games I cannot get working with compatibility mode.

I worked at help desks for years and connecting to Windows XP machines has been a nightmare. Windows 7 - you just put in the host name or local IP on Windows Assistance and go, unless there is something otherwise preventing that. There are few driver or security updates for XP, and it's becoming more difficult to track down legacy drivers. XP is difficult to service and maintain, at least at the consumer level. With 7/8, I can reimage most PCs and have them usable in an hour. With XP, I have to get a thumb drive to transfer network drivers, and then hope to God I can find everything else.

People need to get off XP, yesterday. It is obsolete, full of security and driver holes, and is simply archaic.
The stampede continues.

People don't need to get off XP yesterday, today, tomorrow, next week, or next year. Any more than they need to get off having a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

Overall, software quality is getting worse, not better. But the marketing folks have spared no effort in the brainwashing techniques that keeps the stampede in a frenzy, despite their not understanding what they are running from....or to.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The stampede continues.

People don't need to get off XP yesterday, today, tomorrow, next week, or next year. Any more than they need to get off having a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

Overall, software quality is getting worse, not better. But the marketing folks have spared no effort in the brainwashing techniques that keeps the stampede in a frenzy, despite their not understanding what they are running from....or to.
/\ Pretty much this! I can understand if someone is doing online banking or accessing their social media accounts, but quite often there is that one software program that either will not run on anything above XP at all, or its updated version on the latest OS sucks.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
/\ Pretty much this! I can understand if someone is doing online banking or accessing their social media accounts, but quite often there is that one software program that either will not run on anything above XP at all, or its updated version on the latest OS sucks.
I have very rarely run into this on anything at the consumer level. Most websites work correctly under the latest web browser, whether that's Chrome, IE, or whatever. If anything, being stuck on XP SP3/IE8 is going to be a liability in usage. Office 2013 does not work on XP/Vista. Security flaws are going to be rampant.

Sure, businesses may have software that won't run past XP, but most consumers should have been off XP years ago.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 PM

27 posts, read 13,741 times
I was set to run XP forever.
A couple of weeks ago, however, I encountered a problem.
Utilities like msinfo32 would not run...but open a Windows support page.
There were a couple of other situations like this.
Norton did not think it was a virus...but funny how it just happened.
Anyway, I moved to Windows 7.
Life is good again.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
I have very rarely run into this on anything at the consumer level. Most websites work correctly under the latest web browser, whether that's Chrome, IE, or whatever. If anything, being stuck on XP SP3/IE8 is going to be a liability in usage. Office 2013 does not work on XP/Vista. Security flaws are going to be rampant.
I think I did say that if one is doing online banking, social media, or other forms of web surfing, then yes, the user should at least be on some OS that is supported with security updates. No question about that.

Quote:
Sure, businesses may have software that won't run past XP, but most consumers should have been off XP years ago.
Why? What if there is that one audio editing program that just works, flawlessly, on Windows XP? Maybe the consumer doesn't want to purchase that software again? My dad uses a program that allows one to build diagrams for wiring buildings and houses with electricity that is no longer updated. He knows how to use the program and it works on Windows XP. It won't even install on Windows Vista and higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or