U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,087,049 times

Advertisements

so what exactly does all this mean? I got this message on the computer about April 8th and I got annoyed since money is tight.

I found out I wouldn't be able to use Microsoft Essentials anymore and would have to get a new anti-virus for my laptop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
so what exactly does all this mean? I got this message on the computer about April 8th and I got annoyed since money is tight.

I found out I wouldn't be able to use Microsoft Essentials anymore and would have to get a new anti-virus for my laptop
Some might say "It's a blessing in disguise!".

Old 03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Some might say "It's a blessing in disguise!".
Not if u don't have the money to buy a new pc or laptop

Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
You don't have $70 for a new safer OS? How much money will you have when you continue to use that for your banking and your account gets hacked??

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32 Bit - Download

XP was released in 2001. 2001 Think about that for a minute. You really can't find $70 to update a 12 YEAR OLD OS??

How about Vista for $54??

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CLsEEKYrMAM

I don't care how poor you are: $54 is not too much to update a 12 YEAR OLD OS. One more time. 12. Years Old. Name me ANY product that shouldn't be replaced after 12 years....

I'm sorry but I am 100% with Microsoft on this one. XP is so old and clunky (and soon to be a hackers paradise) you really owe it to yourself to upgrade.
Vista and 7 BOTH are not system hogs. A LOT of XP machines can upgrade directly to it.
Do it. Now. Please.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
PS this comes from a guy that thinks the BEST OS'es MS ever released are:
WIN7
WINXP
WIN98SE

It's time, people. Don't put it off....

Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't have $70 for a new safer OS? How much money will you have when you continue to use that for your banking and your account gets hacked??

XP was released in 2001. 2001 Think about that for a minute. You really can't find $70 to update a 12 YEAR OLD OS??

I don't care how poor you are: $54 is not too much to update a 12 YEAR OLD OS. One more time. 12. Years Old. Name me ANY product that shouldn't be replaced after 12 years....

I'm sorry but I am 100% with Microsoft on this one. XP is so old and clunky (and soon to be a hackers paradise) you really owe it to yourself to upgrade.
Vista and 7 BOTH are not system hogs. A LOT of XP machines can upgrade directly to it.
Do it. Now. Please.

Where do I get it and how is it installed?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 PM

11,599 posts, read 20,753,074 times
To add a question to this thread, I have an old XP that isn't being used (it's a backup in case this one bites the dust) - should I figure out how to connect it to my modem (Verizon) and try to update it before it's too late? TIA

Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,657,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Do it. Now. Please.

Not everyone is in the best financial condition. Whether it's a great idea or not, $54 may be a stretch for a lot of people.

FWIW, many products are completely workable after 12 or many more years. They may not be up to par as a new product, but that doesn't make them useless.

When I looked at putting W7 on my 12 year old Gateway PC, it would have cost me more in likely hardware upgrades than it would to replace the PC. That was using the compatibility app Windows offers. I decided, after talking it through with a couple of computer literate buddies, to just replace the PC when it finally dies, or if XP becomes unusable.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Not everyone is in the best financial condition. Whether it's a great idea or not, $54 may be a stretch for a lot of people.

FWIW, many products are completely workable after 12 or many more years. They may not be up to par as a new product, but that doesn't make them useless.

When I looked at putting W7 on my 12 year old Gateway PC, it would have cost me more in likely hardware upgrades than it would to replace the PC. That was using the compatibility app Windows offers. I decided, after talking it through with a couple of computer literate buddies, to just replace the PC when it finally dies, or if XP becomes unusable.

So what exactly happens to my laptop on APril 9th after no more Windows XP?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM

8,668 posts, read 9,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
So what exactly happens to my laptop on APril 9th after no more Windows XP?
It will smoke a bit then catch fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Turco, you have gone beyond falling prey to hype.

It works great and the software I use on that system works flawlessly, which is the key thing.

I sometimes think there are only seven people in the universe that understand that concept. Well done.
Yes and one can argue that a 1991 Ford Pick-up drives just fine. True enough. But compared to a 2009 Ford PU, not so much.

I like the fact that my W7 machines are ready to go in 45 seconds instead of three to four minutes when turned on. The graphics are way better, actually everything is way better and I can run IE11 as opposed to IE8.

But there are always some who don't want to go with new $tuff due to perceived cost. Fine by me. Just don't ask me to congratulate you for being a Luddite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or