U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,273,140 times
Reputation: 659

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Smartphones run it but they don't run bare Linux and they definitely don't let the user interact with Linux (without rooting the phone).
I don't get your point? What do you mean by "bare Linux" and "interact with Linux?" Most people aren't admins and just want to use there computer or smartphone to get something done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2014, 04:14 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,052 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Reputation: 9329
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Exactly! My dad understands that whatever computer he puts this software on is one that he doesn't use online - it's just a computer to run the wiring software. And this is something he can continue to use until he does run across another wiring software title that he likes and can easily use as much as this one.
We agree, but I don't buy the can't use XP online thing either. I do....for hours every day...."unsupported"....just as I ran Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Professional "unsupported" before that. The only reason I moved to XP last fall is that Firefox ended support of W2K with version 12 and, of course, Microsoft didn't go past IE6 for W2K.

I've been online 17 years....for hours every day....much of that time risking life and limb with "unsupported" OSs . Have never had a problem....of any kind....ever....not once! Well....outside of malware like WGA installed against my will, that is.

It's a con repeated incessantly by the easily led that I won't listen to any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM
 
26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
Reputation: 17235
Please dont say that "N" word!! (We dont want you to possibly jinx things for yourself )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,052 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Reputation: 9329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Please dont say that "N" word!! (We dont want you to possibly jinx things for yourself )
Yeah, I've thought of that. But....
  1. I'm only minimally superstitious
  2. I said never have....and that is simple fact.
But something easily north of 19,000 problem-free hours is evidence enough for me to feel quite sure that, based on my habits and the way I use it, my computer's "security" is something like 824th on the list of life's worrisome issues going forward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Reputation: 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
We agree, but I don't buy the can't use XP online thing either. I do....for hours every day...."unsupported"....just as I ran Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Professional "unsupported" before that. The only reason I moved to XP last fall is that Firefox ended support of W2K with version 12 and, of course, Microsoft didn't go past IE6 for W2K.

I've been online 17 years....for hours every day....much of that time risking life and limb with "unsupported" OSs . Have never had a problem....of any kind....ever....not once! Well....outside of malware like WGA installed against my will, that is.

It's a con repeated incessantly by the easily led that I won't listen to any more.
We weren't saying that you can't use it online, just that there is no need to use it online. No need to upgrade either if there's no risk. You may have been okay all these years, but I decided it wasn't worth it to take the risk. If you want to, have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It's a con repeated incessantly by the easily led that I won't listen to any more.
This is what annoys me about your posts is your whole smarmy attitude that you're like "Winning" or something because you're oh-so-cool and won't fall for the evil Microsoft trying to get you to upgrade and you're just going to sit back at laugh at everyone who "falls for it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
We agree, but I don't buy the can't use XP online thing either. I do....for hours every day...."unsupported"....just as I ran Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Professional "unsupported" before that. The only reason I moved to XP last fall is that Firefox ended support of W2K with version 12 and, of course, Microsoft didn't go past IE6 for W2K.

I've been online 17 years....for hours every day....much of that time risking life and limb with "unsupported" OSs . Have never had a problem....of any kind....ever....not once! Well....outside of malware like WGA installed against my will, that is.

It's a con repeated incessantly by the easily led that I won't listen to any more.
Not saying you can't use the XP machine online. By all means. Actually, I tend to think of the situation like this:

Usually the rule of thumb is, the OS that is more widely used tends to be the one that is under the greatest attack. Why? Well, hackers are going to want to exploit as many users as possible. The other assumption is that XP will have the same security flaws present as Vista, 7, & 8. That may or may not be true. The point is, the current supported OS is going to have security flaws - so at some point it's going to be vulnerable. The only difference is that Microsoft will eventually find that flaw and hopefully patch it.

On a side note, I love running Windows 98SE or 2000 in a virtual machine. Call it nostalgia or curiosity as to how it reacts in today's world, but I think it's fun using those operating systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,052 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Reputation: 9329
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Not saying you can't use the XP machine online. By all means. Actually, I tend to think of the situation like this:

Usually the rule of thumb is, the OS that is more widely used tends to be the one that is under the greatest attack. Why? Well, hackers are going to want to exploit as many users as possible. The other assumption is that XP will have the same security flaws present as Vista, 7, & 8. That may or may not be true. The point is, the current supported OS is going to have security flaws - so at some point it's going to be vulnerable. The only difference is that Microsoft will eventually find that flaw and hopefully patch it.

On a side note, I love running Windows 98SE or 2000 in a virtual machine. Call it nostalgia or curiosity as to how it reacts in today's world, but I think it's fun using those operating systems.
Yes, it is.

And I still run Windows 98SE a couple times a week (I dual-boot with XP) for some older software that is better than its successors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Reputation: 8047
Here's a blast from the past:

michaelv.org

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Here's a blast from the past:

michaelv.org

LOL! Good find Peregrine! Ahhhhh...makes me feel young again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top