U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 PM

128 posts, read 451,365 times

Advertisements

Also back to the original topic I've kept XP and placed it in a cheaper box (same board/processor/drive) and for 3 reasons I'll maintain it:

a) many backup files to dvd must be read off the same machine (packet writing software) and can't be read on another system. great feature design, wasn't it (Dragon Disk)? had they been taking social cues from Microsoft?

b) while Illustrator 10 could be loaded onto Win7 some features were lost and it cannot read certain graphics files that were created with 10 on XP -- so instead of recreating many of these files, I open XP back up. Photoshop could not be loaded period.

c) have many backup images and clones of the OS on XP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

810 posts, read 1,250,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't have $70 for a new safer OS? How much money will you have when you continue to use that for your banking and your account gets hacked??

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32 Bit - Download

XP was released in 2001. 2001 Think about that for a minute. You really can't find $70 to update a 12 YEAR OLD OS??

How about Vista for $54??

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CLsEEKYrMAM

I don't care how poor you are: $54 is not too much to update a 12 YEAR OLD OS. One more time. 12. Years Old. Name me ANY product that shouldn't be replaced after 12 years....

I'm sorry but I am 100% with Microsoft on this one. XP is so old and clunky (and soon to be a hackers paradise) you really owe it to yourself to upgrade.
Vista and 7 BOTH are not system hogs. A LOT of XP machines can upgrade directly to it.
Do it. Now. Please.

That is not sensible. Twelve years old, or as the poster puts it, TWELVE YEARS OLD is not so meaningful. It could be five years, it could be 34 years, it could be whatever. If it works, it works.
It's stupid to go through the big job and expense of changing OS and machine if what you have works.

I'm updating to 7 now, and all I'm getting is sickeningly garish screens, more difficult routine procedures, and things that I used to be able to do that I can't do any more. It is by no means a pleasant experience. But nobody ever promised anyone a pleasant life.

It's not impossible that I might, after a few months with 7, decide to go back to XP.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:08 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
That is not sensible. Twelve years old, or as the poster puts it, TWELVE YEARS OLD is not so meaningful. It could be five years, it could be 34 years, it could be whatever. If it works, it works.
It's stupid to go through the big job and expense of changing OS and machine if what you have works.

I'm updating to 7 now, and all I'm getting is sickeningly garish screens, more difficult routine procedures, and things that I used to be able to do that I can't do any more. It is by no means a pleasant experience. But nobody ever promised anyone a pleasant life.

It's not impossible that I might, after a few months with 7, decide to go back to XP.
Well I am going to respectfully disagree.
Windows XP hasn't even been for sale for 3 years.
12 years ago, we didn't even have smartphones. My how things have changed in 12 years.
Yea, that great old LG VX220 would still work today. That doesn't mean you should be using it.

What is a "sickeningly garish screen?"
"More difficult routine procedures?"
Come on. Windows 7 is NOT even remotely a drastic change from XP and in fact many things are MUCH simpler to accomplish. Name me ONE thing you used to be able to do that you can't now.

There is simply not one reason anyone should still be using XP today just because: "well, it still works".

Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio
Exactly!!!!!

Stuff has gotton MUCH WORSE over the years (More bloated,etc -- DOESNT RUN AS WELL.... SPIES ON YOU,ETC)

I commend people WHO KEEP WHAT THEY HAVE AND REALISE WHAT THEY HAVE AND ARENT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT!!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Exactly!!!!!

Stuff has gotton MUCH WORSE over the years (More bloated,etc -- DOESNT RUN AS WELL.... SPIES ON YOU,ETC)

I commend people WHO KEEP WHAT THEY HAVE AND REALISE WHAT THEY HAVE AND ARENT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT!!!!
Windows 7 doesn't spy on anyone and it's worlds more secure than XP is. You're practically begging for malware running an old, unsupported OS like that. It'll only get worse with time.

Why are you not running linux if you really think M$ cares about what you're doing on your pc?

Old 10-04-2014, 05:10 AM

9,076 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Exactly!!!!!

So do I, Dude, and I commend you for doing your own thinking. +1

Windows 2000 Professional was MS's best OS, but more stuff will run on XP these days and that is the only reason I moved to it a year ago. I run it for hours every day....online ....and prove the malware! parrots wrong every day.

And you're right. Many things, software among them, have gotten worse with time - not better. The new OSs serve corporate interests, not the consumer's.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:33 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
Quote:
Well I am going to respectfully disagree.
Windows XP hasn't even been for sale for 3 years.
12 years ago, we didn't even have smartphones. My how things have changed in 12 years.
Yea, that great old LG VX220 would still work today. That doesn't mean you should be using it.

What is a "sickeningly garish screen?"
"More difficult routine procedures?"
Come on. Windows 7 is NOT even remotely a drastic change from XP and in fact many things are MUCH simpler to accomplish. Name me ONE thing you used to be able to do that you can't now.

There is simply not one reason anyone should still be using XP today just because: "well, it still works".
There are reasons (which, I believe were given earlier in this thread), but not for a computer you keep connected to the internet all of the time.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,250,884 times
Quote:
Name me ONE thing you used to be able to do that you can't now.
Arrange the programs list any way I want.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:07 PM

514 posts, read 447,617 times
Why bother with it?

I have XP on a couple of servers that were used to run my OpenSim, but I bought a newer machine for that and have Ubuntu on it for the OS.

As a Mac user for the last 17 years I like OSX but recently I bought a used Dell Workstation to use as my OpenSim server but decided to try it out for my daily user for a bit since it has 24 gb of ram on it, I wanted to compare it to my Mac snowleopard which is still on that as I use Eudora for email and that's the last OS of OSX that will run it.

I got rid of the Dell's windows 8 and replaced the drive with a new one which I installed Linux Mint 18 onto, after setting Mint up as I liked I've been using it the past month every day, it's faster than the Mac/OSX and apps load almost instantly.

On the Mac I noticed my OpenSIm viewer would use about 40-45% of the quad core machine and a significant amount of the 8 gb ram, with firefox I found that uses around 40-45% too, so just those two pieces of software which I have open 24/7 would use about 80% of that machines' resources alone.
On the Dell Workstation running Mint, I noticed those amounts were significantly less, around 20% for OpenSim and 4% for Firefox even with multiple windows and tabs open.

I personally would suggest at least trying out one of the FREE opensource Linux varieties, there are at least 3 that are geared towards windows users with a very windows-like interface, most windows software has comparable free replacements, and for those that don't- "wine" software comes with Linux which enables running full windows software in Linux.

A look at this site shows over 100 different distros or flavors of Linux, with descriptions of each and links to them, ratings, reviews etc., mint, zorin, and ubuntu are usually at the top of the list in ratings and popularity, what is also nice is that you can download the software, burn it to a DVD or thumb drive per the instructions,and then boot up using that so you can TRY the OS without installing anything- a great way to try out several different ones and maybe decide on installing one.

What I like to do is pull my original drive out, install a new one, and install the new OS on that, it has a lot of advantages doing that- all your old stuff is archived, you can format and install whatever you want on the new drive as many times as you like, keep it with the new OS, format i to use for another purpose, or take it out and put the old drive back in.

I like Linux Mint but have used Zorin 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 too. Most of these various flavors of Linux are based on Ubuntu Linux, that's good because all of the software repositories available for Ubuntu are also available for all the others.

I was easily able to transfer my complete firefox profile from Mac to linux firefox, including the plugins, bookmarks etc. I was even able to import my Eudora mails into Thunderbird.
I also have the Opera browser and the OpenSIm viewer also came in a Linux version.
I had Gimp photo editor on Mac, Gimp comes with Linux, so does a whole lot of other software I use like screen capture, screen recorder, video editors, calculator, desktop desklets or applets etc etc.

Zorin has two varieties, one is totally free and comes with basic software included to get started, you will need to install any other software it doesn't have, but that's easy to do, the other comes with all the possible software you can use already pre-installed for you, as I remember that full version was something like an $8 or $10 donation to get the DVD or download the full file, certainly reasonable!
Zorin has a nifty feature that allows you to select a different desktop environment, the paid version has more varieties to choose that out of, one of which is windows XP-like desktop and menus, Mac OSX-like etc

Take a look over DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

On the right lower column is a list of distros with links, here's 3 direct ones to look at:

Quote:
Zorin OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution designed especially for newcomers to Linux. It has a Windows-like graphical user interface and many programs similar to those found in Windows. Zorin OS also comes with an application that lets users run many Windows programs. The distribution's ultimate goal is to provide a Linux alternative to Windows and let Windows users enjoy all the features of Linux without complications.
Zorin OS - Home

Quote:
Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.
Main Page - Linux Mint

Quote:
Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit. "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.
The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud | Ubuntu

As far as software today running "more bloated" and slowing you down on an older computer goes, it's because you are trying to do the equivilent of hauling 30,000# of freight in a trailer pulling it with a Yugo instead of a tractor-trailer, back when windows XP came out having 1 gb of ram on a computer was A LOT! ram was also much more expensive, software was barebones stripped down so it could even run on so little ram, your problem is the computer is too old to keep up and replacing parts in it costs more than simply buying a new or refurbished used one.
Years ago web sites didn't have all the junk on them they do NOW, you didn't need as much ram, ad blocking software and all the rest, now you have all these bloated web sites full of big graphics, flash, video and loaded with scripts of all kinds.
Years ago a web browser could easily fit on a CD, now most all web browsers are many gigabytes in size.

My Dell Workstation T5400 with a hefty 24 gb of ram purchased a month ago cost me $390 refurbished from Dell and delivered, upgrading a video card alone can cost that much, that's why taking a 12 or more year old computer and replacing ram, video cards processor etc isn't even worth it, even if you can replace the ram and processor you are still stuck with slower BUS speed which you cant change without changing the motherboard itself which would be ridiculous.

The Dell running linux Mint is faster than my 2008 quad core Mac tower with 8 gb ram I bought used on Ebay around 2011.

Last edited by Sculptor; 10-04-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 03:26 PM

514 posts, read 447,617 times
The more popular version of Linux Mint is probably the one with the cinnamon desktop:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2626

Linux Mint 17 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.

System requirements:
  • x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
  • 512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 5 GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
  • Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution (1024×768 recommended).
  • DVD drive or USB port

On Ubuntu, now even Dell computers have started offering Ubuntu on their computers instead of WIndows, starting in China:

Quote:

Over the next few weeks Chinese customers will be able to find more ways to purchase Dell computers pre-loaded with Ubuntu throughout even more cities! With significant success to date, Dell China and Canonical will work closely together to significantly increase the the number of stores selling Ubuntu based PC’s in the Chinese retail market.

Dell and Canonical will jointly extend across Tier 1 thru’ Tier 6 Chinese cities with a range of hardware pre-loaded with the Chinese language version of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The original stores have proven so successful that the companies have agreed to expand to beyond 1,000 outlets..
Incredibly exciting to see that Chinese consumers now have the opportunity to acquire a large range of Dell computers with Ubuntu!

Last edited by Sculptor; 10-04-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or