U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:56 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95
So do I, Dude, and I commend you for doing your own thinking. +1

Windows 2000 Professional was MS's best OS, but more stuff will run on XP these days and that is the only reason I moved to it a year ago. I run it for hours every day....online ....and prove the malware! parrots wrong every day.

And you're right. Many things, software among them, have gotten worse with time - not better. The new OSs serve corporate interests, not the consumer's.
Thank you buddy!! (I am not a puppet.. I am wide awake)

I am on Windows 98se and I think its a wonderful/beautiful OS.... Windows was WIDE OPEN until Win2000 SP4 when Microsoft started locking down the os!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:34 AM

150 posts, read 128,547 times
I started using Linux OSs several years ago and will not return to whatever MS tries to offer, currently or in the future. I'm now using Mint 17 Mate but have deployed Linux Lite and Zorin on computers for other friends. They are happy; I am happy; Windowz is history. Whenever I tune a friends W7 or W8 computer I'm overwhelmed by all the crap which burdens that experience. A window has been described as an device for seeing thru a wall: I have looked and seen a better was to go. Try one of the popular Linux OSs and enjoy!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 AM

9,076 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thank you buddy!! (I am not a puppet.. I am wide awake)

I am on Windows 98se and I think its a wonderful/beautiful OS.... Windows was WIDE OPEN until Win2000 SP4 when Microsoft started locking down the os!!!!!!
I use W98SE as well, as I have set up my computer as a dual-boot.

The Microsoft Money series is another example of software that got worse - not better - over the years. Money 98 is far superior to most Money versions that followed and I've been using it since shortly after its release. It won't run on any of the newer OSs.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:58 AM

Excellent -- Another Win98 user

Even if you run that IN COMPATIBILITY MODE? (Win2000+ has a compat setting,Money 98 should run well on ANY OS in "Windows 98" compatibility mode)

And YES I trust your right that MONEY 98 is better!!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Excellent -- Another Win98 user

Even if you run that IN COMPATIBILITY MODE? (Win2000+ has a compat setting,Money 98 should run well on ANY OS in "Windows 98" compatibility mode)

And YES I trust your right that MONEY 98 is better!!
I don't need to run in compatibility mode since I have W98SE installed - the OS it was intended for.

It's been a long time since I tried. But as I recall, Money 98 won't even install on W2K or XP. And my understanding is that a program must first be installed to set compatibility mode.

Anyway, no need to jump through more hoops as I have W98SE and thus don't have a problem to solve.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Yes thats true.........I just didnt know if you had tried or not (Just for the hell of it)

Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes thats true.........I just didnt know if you had tried or not (Just for the hell of it)
Dude, I owe you a huge thank you!

Your question prompted me to attempt to install Money 98 in Windows XP to see what happens. And now that I have, I realize it's possible that I never tried in XP, just Windows 2000 Professional. I just remember getting nowhere with W2K, so maybe assumed it would be the same with XP.

Anyway, just installed it in XP, set compatibility mode, and preliminarily it appears to run perfectly with no problem whatsoever. Assuming that continues as I really get into using it, I will no longer have to re-boot to use it.

Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
98se. Omg...

Old 10-06-2014, 02:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
98se. Omg...
The feeling you're feeling right now, is it kind of like a slight suffocation? I think that feeling comes from the true realization that sometimes logic cannot help you, and your most powerful and righteous tool fails you when you feel you need it most. I feel it too, and I keep trying to ignore this thread to stop my chest from tightening. Like a moth, somehow I stay compelled to revisit what I should avoid.

The overwhelming power we're up against is a combination of flat out laziness (x is better than y because x is what I know! Get your so called improvements away from me!) and pure, unadulterated tinfoilery. Sometimes, we have to leave them behind.....

Then again, maybe I'm just a spy for M$, trying to get these clairvoyants to fall into my employer's traps......

Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 AM

Smile *

Then why do you keep reading and posting in this thread buddy?? (If it bothers ya and all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95
....Anyway, just installed it in XP, set compatibility mode, and preliminarily it appears to run perfectly with no problem whatsoever. Assuming that continues as I really get into using it, I will no longer have to re-boot to use it........
Good buddy Im glad it works for ya in both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
98se. Omg...
98se is an amazing OS my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or