U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It will smoke a bit then catch fire.
It might actually help heat up the place and lower the heating bill!

Quote:
Yes and one can argue that a 1991 Ford Pick-up drives just fine. True enough. But compared to a 2009 Ford PU, not so much.
Let's say you went ahead and bought the 2009 model. Yes, it is nicer, newer, faster, more advanced, etc. and you still have the 1991 model too. You don't want to get rid of it because there are certain dirty hauling work you use it for, tasks that would quickly ruin the newer, nicer one, dropping its value as well and these tasks do not require a newer, more powerful and more advanced vehicle, making it perfect for the older one! If you sell the old one, you wouldn't get much for it but you also do not have the financial means to get another new one either. Besides, you are a rational person and feel that one newer model is enough. Each has its uses, both of them do not need be new.

Ultimately, imho, what matters is, what you use the machine for. That is the concept, regardless of having support for it or not.
If the software or tasks you run on that machine will not change and currently in excellent working condition, why would you want to change anything? It makes absolutely no sense to me!

Extra expense plus possibility of running into compatibility issues. We all know that newer OS on older hardware is hardly ever a good idea.

As the saying goes "if it ain't broke...."

Quote:
I like the fact that my W7 machines are ready to go in 45 seconds instead of three to four minutes when turned on. The graphics are way better, actually everything is way better and I can run IE11 as opposed to IE8.

But there are always some who don't want to go with new $tuff due to perceived cost. Fine by me. Just don't ask me to congratulate you for being a Luddite.
My my, you are bragging about your new machine booting in 45 seconds? I could turn mine on and off 3 times in 45 seconds! Heck my ancient XP systems boot faster than that! For a second I thought I was behind times!

Btw, I am not against technology or technological advancement (luddite). I am against unnecessary upgrades just for the sake of upgrading without rationalizing the expense. Apples vs Oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Not everyone is in the best financial condition. Whether it's a great idea or not, $54 may be a stretch for a lot of people.
Yea, well I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that at least 90% of people reading this can afford $54....

Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM

13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
So what exactly happens to my laptop on APril 9th after no more Windows XP?
It becomes vulnerable to hackers, spyware, malware, etc... Maybe not immediately, but eventually. Other than that, nothing. If you unhook it from the internet it will be fine.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 PM

9,052 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I still use it on my multimedia system.

It works great and the software I use on that system works flawlessly, which is the key thing.
I couldn't care less if MS support for it ended or not. I will probably use it for several years more, if not longer.
Best and most logical answer. Nor could I.

Microsoft's sky is falling on April 8th fear machine is nothing but a marketing tool proven effective on those easily led.

For anyone who meticulously adheres to the fundamentals of safe computing practices - like not opening attachments from unknown or untrusted sources, etc., etc. - there is no issue worth talking about with "end of support". The computer security threat fear-mongering machine is big business and one of the easiest avenues to the quick buck.

I used Windows 2000 Professional for many years and liked it better than XP in most respects. I only "upgraded" to XP just last fall primarily because Firefox ended W2K support with version 12. I will use XP most likely for years to come and will change when, and only when, there is good reason to. "End of support" is reason only to smile and enjoy watching the stampede from a safe distance.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,087,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It becomes vulnerable to hackers, spyware, malware, etc... Maybe not immediately, but eventually. Other than that, nothing. If you unhook it from the internet it will be fine.

can you please tell me what I need to do once Windows XP expire? Thanks

Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM

13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
can you please tell me what I need to do once Windows XP expire? Thanks
Either upgrade to Windows 7, or keep using it. Your choice.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,428,244 times
I'm on an almost 8yo Dell desktop with XP right now. It works great and gets used every day. Last year we replaced the fans, PSU and HDD in the tower (cloned from old HDD) and it works great. I'll keep using it until it doesn't work any more, at least a few more years. I keep good anti-virus programs on it.

We also have a 4yo Dell desktop with Win7 and my newish Lenovo laptop with Win7. When the XP machine goes I'll use my laptop more.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 AM

30,930 posts, read 17,189,834 times
I have an almost 7-year-old Dell desktop that still works fine with Windows XP Professional SP3. I also have a year-old Dell desktop with Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit), which is my main computer. I'm planning on retiring the XP machine and replacing it with a refurbished machine with Windows 7. I know there are still some new systems being sold with Windows 7 but I see no sense in buying a brand new computer since the person who uses the XP computer (a family member) just basically uses it for e-mail and occasional Web surfing.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Microsoft's sky is falling on April 8th fear machine is nothing but a marketing tool proven effective on those easily led.

Yea, ok man.
So you believe MS should conitinue to support a 12 year old OS? You seriously don't think XP is going to be a serious target for hackers and malware when MS no longer provides security updates? At the very least, I hope your MCaffee is up to date.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Yea, ok man.
So you believe MS should conitinue to support a 12 year old OS? You seriously don't think XP is going to be a serious target for hackers and malware when MS no longer provides security updates? At the very least, I hope your MCaffee is up to date.
It's still a highly used OS around the world, and especially in China.

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...ype=blogs&_r=0

Quote:
As of January, 49 percent of Chinese computers were using the 12-year-old operating system, according to StatCounter, an analysis firm. That compares with less than 18 percent worldwide and less than 11 percent in the United States.
Honestly, I can't see why Microsoft can't continue to support it?

They are a company worth around 300 billion dollars, and they have thousands of employees. How many employees does it require for Microsoft to provide continuing support for Windows XP?

To me, it seems like they simply want keep pushing people into buying their latest product, even though people may be happy with what they have now.

Some people feel XP meets all of the current needs, and don't want to upgrade.

Upgrading potentially means buying a new computer, since their older hardware may not meet the requirements of a newer version of Windows.

Plus when you upgrade, it means re-installing all of your old software, which can be a huge task for people who've had their computer for many years, and accumulated lots of programs over that time.

Some software may have been downloaded from websites, and it may be hard to find the original install programs on your PC.

Some software may have required patches to fix issues which were also downloaded, so who knows where the patch programs are on the PC, or if they are still available for download from the website?

Some software may require activation to install them, and who knows if the websites still exist for companies that wrote the software, or if you can find the original product keys required for installation?

To put it in a nutshell .. upgrading Windows is a huge task for many people, and it may result in you no longer having the use of many of your old programs.

Also, there is no guarantee your old software will run properly on newer versions of Windows, even with the using the Windows XP compatibility setting. I have a program that works fine on my Windows XP desktop, but it has issues, and freezes up on a Windows 8.1 laptop I own.

So I think based on the current worldwide usage of Windows XP, Microsoft is going to cause a lot of problems in lots of people's lives by ending support on April 8th, especially China.

As for me, I plan to keep Windows XP installed on my current PC, and I am currently searching for a newer used desktop with Windows 7 or 8 for my main internet computer.

Then I'll just start using the new PC, and gradually load software from my old one over time, but keep the XP one around as long as it is still useful to me.

Last edited by RD5050; 03-13-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or