Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Either upgrade to Windows 7, or keep using it. Your choice.

Have to see what my budget looking like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
This notebook I'm on now is XP. but we also have computers with 7 and 8. I use this one while watching TV in the evening only, and will not upgrade since it is not capable of running 7 or 8 and is probably 5-6 years old. If it dies, I'll replace it but meanwhile I will continue to use non-Microsoft security products as I do now as long as they are available to run on XP. Despite the MS de-support, I would expect 3rd parties to continue support for XP because so many still use it, so they can make money.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This notebook I'm on now is XP. but we also have computers with 7 and 8. I use this one while watching TV in the evening only, and will not upgrade since it is not capable of running 7 or 8 and is probably 5-6 years old. If it dies, I'll replace it but meanwhile I will continue to use non-Microsoft security products as I do now as long as they are available to run on XP. Despite the MS de-support, I would expect 3rd parties to continue support for XP because so many still use it, so they can make money.

You mean like Mcafee?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,031 times
I have an XP machine and a Windows 8.1 desktop in my home. I use the XP for only the classic Microsoft games and have wifi turned off.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:13 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
I have one XP machine (and two with Win 7). I'm not particularly worried about end of MS support. Those that are foolish with their browsing/computing habits most likely already have an XP install that is not kept updated (both the OS and other software) and is thoroughly infested with malware/viruses. MS ending support probably won't make it much worse for them. I don't plan on using the XP machine for my online banking past that date just to be on the safe side, but as far as general browsing goes, I'm not worried. Its behind both a hardware and third party software firewall, has a real time AV program and gets a scan with Malwarebytes a couple times a week. I use an alternative browser and keep all my drivers and software up-to-date. Thanks to not being stupid about sites I visit or attachments I open I haven't had a trojan since 2005 and can't remember the last virus (10+ years). I really don't think I'll have an issue as long as I want to keep the PC.

After support of 98 SE ended in 2006 I had an old Dell (like a 1999 model) that work gave me with it. I had a Voodoo card in it for use with Glide games and it was fully patched up to the point of support ending. It had Opera on it for browsing, was behind two firewalls and had some AV program installed (Avast?). Anyway, I used it online until 2009 - a full three years after support ended. Nothing happened to it.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:27 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Have to see what my budget looking like
No,I don't need to see it. My budget isn't very flexible either. Note that I did say " or keep using It". However, you need to calculate the cost of it being hacked or screwed up with malware. Even poor people need to calculate the risk to see if it's worth it.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
I have a 4-year-old Dell PC that I CHOSE to have XP Pro loaded on when I bought it (seemed like everyone I knew was having problems with whatever the "correct" OP was at that time). I also got a license for Windows 7 Pro (IIRC) at the same time, as well as discs. Do I have any clue where said discs are after 4 years and a move to a new house? Nope.

A few people have posted in this thread things like "What's the big deal? Pay $70 to upgrade" -- but for me, the cost of the new OP is not the issue AT ALL. The issue (as others have alluded to as well) is that I have a ton of programs on my current XP PC that I use at least once a week (many of course that I use EVERY DAY). I can back up all my documents but I would have to search for all the original discs in order to re-load the programs, that is, IF they even work on Windows 7.

I did a search about XP support ending and found this article: How to keep your PC secure when Microsoft ends Windows XP support | PCWorld . My biggest fear, of course, is being hacked because of a lack of patches for XP vulnerabilities. The PC World article notes that Microsoft Security Essentials will continue supporting XP until July 2015, which gives me another year to find all the discs. I also have and use Malwarebytes (and may upgrade to the Pro version).

The ONLY web sites I visit on my home PC are ones that I've used safely for years (my employer's pages, weather.com, amazon & a few other shopping sites, yahoo for email, google for searches, and of course C-D) -- I simply do not visit ANY site that I am not 100% sure about on this PC (and of course I never click links in email etc.). When I do searches, I keep lists of sites to visit the next time I am at work, since my employer's security is strong and IT will help if there is ever a problem on that computer -- and no, I don't visit any sites that I would be embarrassed about my employer knowing about!

I also will be using Chrome or Firefox as my browser instead of Explorer.

So, given all those things: will I be "safe" using MSE and Malwarebytes AND a non-Explorer browser, assuming the type of browsing that I do? The only alternative for me is to use my netbook as my main Internet computer at home (it has Windows 7 I think), but that isn't my preference.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Yes Karen. And that is good advice actually. Anyone that wants to coninute using XP should stop using Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Also if you aren't sure if your PC can run Windows 7 you can download this tol from Microsoft to check.
It's very good. Will even tell you if any programs will not work.
Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes Karen. And that is good advice actually. Anyone that wants to coninute using XP should stop using Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

Yeah Firefox is what I am using now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers