U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,836,526 times

Advertisements

I have an 11 year old PC desktop with Windows XP and I'm going to replace it. This computer is too old to simply upgrade to a newer version of Windows. It's glitchy, freezes up a lot, etc., so it needs to be replaced anyway. If I can't find a brand new PC with Windows 7, I might try to get a slightly used CPU tower pre-loaded with Windows 7 and use the same monitor and keyboard for a while longer.

I want to avoid Windows 8 if at all possible. I've talked to several people that I know well that have Windows 8 and they all hate it. Most people I've talked to online in forums or on facebook hate it as well. If Windows 8.1 is actually more user friendly, I might get a new PC with that OS as a last resort.

Has anybody used Windows 8.1 yet? If so, is it better? Also, does anyone know of a reliable online retailer that has new/slightly used/refurbished CPU towers that are pre-loaded with Windows 7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,112,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I have an 11 year old PC desktop with Windows XP and I'm going to replace it. This computer is too old to simply upgrade to a newer version of Windows. It's glitchy, freezes up a lot, etc., so it needs to be replaced anyway. If I can't find a brand new PC with Windows 7, I might try to get a slightly used CPU tower pre-loaded with Windows 7 and use the same monitor and keyboard for a while longer.

I want to avoid Windows 8 if at all possible. I've talked to several people that I know well that have Windows 8 and they all hate it. Most people I've talked to online in forums or on facebook hate it as well. If Windows 8.1 is actually more user friendly, I might get a new PC with that OS as a last resort.

Has anybody used Windows 8.1 yet? If so, is it better? Also, does anyone know of a reliable online retailer that has new/slightly used/refurbished CPU towers that are pre-loaded with Windows 7?

What is supposed to be the problem with Windows 8?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,836,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
What is supposed to be the problem with Windows 8?
The most frequent complaint I've heard from friends is that Windows 8 isn't very user friendly for the traditional PC desktop or laptop user. Windows 8 is designed more for touch screen devices like smartphones and tablets. Applications that were easy to find on all previous versions of Windows are now difficult to find, etc. Just google "problems with Windows 8" and you'll get about 50,000 websites with people on it complaining about Windows 8...lol.

I've also seen conflicting reports about the upgrade, Windows 8.1. Some have said it is an improvement and others have said that it offers a traditional start button but it's still difficult to find stuff you need. If that's the case, the upgrade didn't do much to improve things.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,112,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
The most frequent complaint I've heard from friends is that Windows 8 isn't very user friendly for the traditional PC desktop or laptop user. Windows 8 is designed more for touch screen devices like smartphones and tablets. Applications that were easy to find on all previous versions of Windows are now difficult to find, etc. Just google "problems with Windows 8" and you'll get about 50,000 websites with people on it complaining about Windows 8...lol.

I've also seen conflicting reports about the upgrade, Windows 8.1. Some have said it is an improvement and others have said that it offers a traditional start button but it's still difficult to find stuff you need. If that's the case, the upgrade didn't do much to improve things.

That's what I am realizing, everything is started to be upgraded for devices like Ipads. and Iphones but not laptops and computers

Old 03-16-2014, 04:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Honestly, It's a bit different, but takes < 3 minutes to make it work the same as Win7.

The largest change is that they removed the normal start menu, and went to a full screen display that has a mix of apps and shortcuts. It's kind of a mess, but you can get a free program that will put the old start menu back, and it's almost no different than using Windows 7.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,572,263 times
I still have a winxp partition on 2nd box, just for a couple games that don't run on win7.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM

3,319 posts, read 4,878,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I still have a winxp partition on 2nd box, just for a couple games that don't run on win7.
I discovered the few that I had that wouldn't run on 7 worked if I purchased them again from Good Old Games. It didn't cost much (I think $5 or $6 for each). I got something as old as Diablo II to run without issue with a few tweaks as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,195,932 times
The laptop that I'm writing this post with has XP. The clock is ticking. I don't know what to get. Tablet or laptop? I talked to a guy that repairs computers and he said that hackers are just waiting to get their hands on XP users. I read somewhere that 51% of global ATM machines are running on XP. I'll have something new before the 1st.

-Cheers.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 AM

9,076 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
The laptop that I'm writing this post with has XP. The clock is ticking. I don't know what to get. Tablet or laptop? I talked to a guy that repairs computers and he said that hackers are just waiting to get their hands on XP users. I read somewhere that 51% of global ATM machines are running on XP. I'll have something new before the 1st.

-Cheers.
There is no clock ticking.

What there is is a number of software vendors that outnumber hackers by thousands to one who are just waiting to get their hands on the stampede that buys into the artificially fabricated frenzy of fear surrounding "end of support".

When you get down to brass tacks, it's the only way to sell the masses new software that they don't need and don't even want, in most cases.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
But ATM machines don't surf the internet. That's where the biggest danger lies.

As to CrownVic and his "selling the masses new software"... come on man. Windows 7 is a huge improvement over XP. It really is. Even if MS didn't end support, getting rid of that old software should still be in everyone's plan.

This is the kind of stuff that is going to get worse. Not necessarily hacking into your bank account.
How To Remove Antivirus Live and Other Rogue/Fake Antivirus Malware
Speaking as the guy that gets the phone call from everyone I know every time they get this? PLEASE UPGRADE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or