U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Piracy has been tested in courts over and over...
Piracy and a EULA violation are 2 entirely different things, you should know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Quote:
There are licenses that allow you to do just that. The discounted oem licensing is great when it fits your needs, but when it doesn't, you have options.
Oh really? What options do you think OP has then?

Quote:
Advocating piracy?
I am not advocating anything but if he was wrongfully sold an OEM license by a vendor, how is it his fault? He paid for something and he can neither use it nor return it?
Give me a break!

I would install it and activate it. If MS rejected the activation or raised an issue, then I would inform them about the purchase I made from the vendor X and whatever limitation there is for that particular license is unbeknown to me. Let them deal with the real law-breaker. I'd play stupid, I am good at it anyhow.

After all, if this is what it showed on the package:
Quote:
" Each individual software license inside this package many ONLY be distributed with a fully assembled computer system."
Then the seller broke the law, not him. By installing the OS on a fully assembled computer system, which he was aiming to do, he is actually fulfilling that condition!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-11-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
fact is if they file a suit then you will have to defend and that story may not work very well if Op can read;which obviously he can. happens all the time;Judge I didn't know any better .Not much of a defense really.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,840 times
The thing is that MS can't make their own minds. Up until Vista, people that built their own PCs could use an OEM license.
Then, for Windows 7, they started requiring a retail license. For Windows 8, they're allowing again the use of an OEM license for personal builds, but not for 8.1, despite the fact that a Windows 8 PC can be freely upgraded to 8.1.
Windows system builder licensing for personal use

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM

1,249 posts, read 996,656 times
The OEM license is for only one computer and stays with it, not individual. In case you changed components on the system it'll have to be reactivated.

As to piracy, all they do is disable the product code so when you try to update it it'll be denied.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Piracy and a EULA violation are 2 entirely different things, you should know that.
I never said they were the same. The just dictates when permission is given to use said software. In this case, no permission is given to use the OEM software without the hardware it was purchased with. Thus using it would be piracy.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
fact is if they file a suit then you will have to defend and that story may not work very well if Op can read;which obviously he can. happens all the time;Judge I didn't know any better .Not much of a defense really.
I don't think you should even think this far ahead. If you know you're in the wrong, fix it immediately. No reason to go down the wrong path knowingly.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 AM

440 posts, read 1,346,061 times
Sorry, I didn't have time to read the last few post as they are quite long. I just have one simple question, can I install this software on two machines instead of one. Is that possible?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Sorry, I didn't have time to read the last few post as they are quite long. I just have one simple question, can I install this software on two machines instead of one. Is that possible?
You need one retail (non-oem) license for each computer that you want to install Windows 7 on (assuming you purchased Windows 7 separate from a computer).

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM

701 posts, read 994,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Quote:
You need one retail (non-oem) license for each computer that you want to install Windows 7 on (assuming you purchased Windows 7 separate from a computer).
Legally, what NJBest said!

That's if, in the OPs original post, "picked up a copy of Windows 7" meant the OP purchased Win7, not literally "picked it up".

Technically, though, it IS possible to install it on two machines instead of one. You just have to find a "Win 7 Loader" or "key generator" for the second machine so that it can take future updates. Of course, this wouldn't be legal according to Microsofts EULA.

Now, before other people get their panties in a bunch, I'm not advocating software piracy. Just wanted to answer the OPs question.

Do you think Microsoft would care if the OP did this? Who knows? Probably not, as long as the OP doesn't not start doing it a lot and start selling computers. I could be wrong, but I don't see Apple going after the people who build Hackintoshes. In fact, I know a few Apple engineers who, anonymously, contribute tips and tidbits in some Hackintosh and IOS Jailbreak forums. I guess they still believe Steve Job's "The journey is the reward".

Then again, we're talking Microsoft here. In which case, they might care about every cent. They're already on Windows 8.1, possibly going to Win 9 next year, but they want their pound of flesh from each Win7 license.

Microsoft, like other big companies, spends millions lobbying Congress to pass laws favorable to them. Essentially paying off the politicians. Plus, a lot of these software companies knowingly sell their software that are not always ready for primetime (i.e. the old "they're features, not defects" ... ). So I'm not crying for them on the software piracy issue. But that's for another forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers