U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2014, 03:23 AM
 
1,017 posts, read 1,563,827 times
Reputation: 453

Advertisements

oem software that's a version of windows from a big box manufacture dell gatewat asus ect ect. and most likely that os would be tied to that system it came with. I know some companies inject the key code into the motherboard as well and that the oem os will only work on that mother board unless your a fool and buy another one with the oem software on em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,252,336 times
Reputation: 2398
I don't understand what people are saying about not being able to use W7 OEM. Late last year I bought parts for a new computer from newegg along with W7 HP OEM and built it myself and installed W7 fine. I have always bought OEM and never had an issue and I have built quite a few computers. Several have had W7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,247 posts, read 995,264 times
Reputation: 1269
What I did too. I started with building an i3 system and installed my Win 7 oem. While I was using it I was buying parts to build an i5 system. Took me 7-8 months before it was complete. Built that and installed the same OS on my i5 and reactivated it. Didn't have problem doing so.

I put my Win Vista retail in the i3 system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
 
Location: California & Texas
157 posts, read 307,838 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I don't understand what people are saying about not being able to use W7 OEM. Late last year I bought parts for a new computer from newegg along with W7 HP OEM and built it myself and installed W7 fine. I have always bought OEM and never had an issue and I have built quite a few computers. Several have had W7.
The confusion seems to be around when you're allowed to use Windows 7 OEM and when it is illegal. If you purchased Windows 7 OEM with a computer, you can use it legally. If you purchased it for a computer you are building for someone else, it is legal for them to use it. If you purchase it to install on your current computer, or you are building a computer for your own use, then it is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,760,637 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
The confusion seems to be around when you're allowed to use Windows 7 OEM and when it is illegal. If you purchased Windows 7 OEM with a computer, you can use it legally. If you purchased it for a computer you are building for someone else, it is legal for them to use it. If you purchase it to install on your current computer, or you are building a computer for your own use, then it is illegal.
The problem is that Microsoft itself can't make up their own mind. Check this page:
Windows system builder licensing for personal use

On the top it says:
Quote:
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.
And a little bit further down, under the Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro column:
Quote:
Cannot be used as an operating system on any computer except one that you are building for your own use or as an operating system running on a local virtual machine or a separate partition, subject to additional terms.
Emphasis is mine. So, can you use it for personal use or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 AM
 
Location: California & Texas
157 posts, read 307,838 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The problem is that Microsoft itself can't make up their own mind. Check this page:
Windows system builder licensing for personal use

On the top it says:

And a little bit further down, under the Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro column:

Emphasis is mine. So, can you use it for personal use or not?
For Windows 7, your link does not specify that you can. However, what the website says is of little importance. The EULA for Windows 7 is clear. The OP cannot, and should not, use an OEM license on a system they intend to use themselves... unless the license came with that very system they intend to use it on. There is no ambiguity once you read the EULA and the site you link to does not day otherwise.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,247 posts, read 995,264 times
Reputation: 1269
How about if I built a system and sold it to myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 AM
 
Location: California & Texas
157 posts, read 307,838 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
How about if I built a system and sold it to myself?
That's perfectly fine. You can do that with the purchase of a retail, volume, or Enterprise license. Just not with an OEM license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,760,637 times
Reputation: 1648
The solution is easy. Have your mother hire you to build the PC for her. She'll pay you $100 for your labor. When done, she can sell you the PC for, let's say $100. She becomes the builder, you become the end user, problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 PM
 
Location: California & Texas
157 posts, read 307,838 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The solution is easy. Have your mother hire you to build the PC for her. She'll pay you $100 for your labor. When done, she can sell you the PC for, let's say $100. She becomes the builder, you become the end user, problem solved!
That looks like a scheme to circumvent copyright law. If you're going to commit fraud, you might as well pirate it. If you're unpatriotic enough to disrespect our laws and the constitution, how you go about it makes little difference..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top