U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,188,588 times

Advertisements

I finally got VMware fusion so I can run windows 8 on my mac. I need to run some software that is not mac compatible. I have no clue about how to function in windows. I googled for help, but all the links I find are how to teach windows users to use a mac.

Does anyone have any basic info for me? I am not planning to use windows any more than necessary, so I don't need in depth knowledge. Or just a link to some help?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

14,367 posts, read 21,033,282 times
Default Two things

1. Upgrade to Windows 8.1
2. Buy this Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements and install it

Old 03-11-2014, 07:48 PM

5,414 posts, read 8,772,373 times
You could maybe start here:

Getting started tutorials for Windows - Microsoft Windows

Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Thank you davebarnes and reed303. I think maybe I just need to know the main differences between osx and windows. I will try googling that.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
Do you need help installing vmware and windows or just using windows?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Do you need help installing vmware and windows or just using windows?
I just need some tips for using windows 8.1. I have all of the software installed and functioning, and I am just fumbling around. I am doing okay, but I am having trouble with little things, like how to get rid of the giant arrow on the page telling me to swipe to go back an app, and how to open another tab in explorer.
Thank for offering help!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:34 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
I could be wrong and someone should quickly correct me, but I think you can launch your application from inside MAC OX as with Parallels? Do you know what Parallels is? Do you even need to interact with windows 8 or do you just need to launch a certain application. If there was a big icon for your application do you need to do anything else?

Other basic functions are:
Install printer
Move files around
Find Files
Launch applications
Configure network Adapter

Do you know how to do all of the about? Do you need to do more than those listed?
I do think moving file around on in Windows is easier than Mac.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I could be wrong and someone should quickly correct me, but I think you can launch your application from inside MAC OX as with Parallels? Do you know what Parallels is? Do you even need to interact with windows 8 or do you just need to launch a certain application. If there was a big icon for your application do you need to do anything else?

Other basic functions are:
Install printer
Move files around
Find Files
Launch applications
Configure network Adapter

Do you know how to do all of the about? Do you need to do more than those listed?
I do think moving file around on in Windows is easier than Mac.
I am using VMware Fusion, which is similar to Parallels. I do need to interact with windows to run my software. It is the little things that windows users do without thinking that I know nothing about.

As I said, I have everything installed and functioning, and I am learning how to navigate.

I just found out that the little red X in the upper right corner of the app window closes the app, not just the window. On my mac, closing the window does not close the app.
It is little stuff like that I would like some tips about.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM

14,367 posts, read 21,033,282 times
Default Understand the frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
It is little stuff like that I would like some tips about.
You are going to remain frustrated for a while.
I searched the Google for "switch to windows from mac" and found very little.
I then searched for "switch to mac from windows" and found a lot. Do this and read the articles and think backwards.

There are lots of little things that will drive you crazy.
You just have to work your way thru it.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You are going to remain frustrated for a while.
I searched the Google for "switch to windows from mac" and found very little.
I then searched for "switch to mac from windows" and found a lot. Do this and read the articles and think backwards.

There are lots of little things that will drive you crazy.
You just have to work your way thru it.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I haven't used it enough yet to drive me crazy.

Google has not been my friend. There are too many irrelevant answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or