U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM

511 posts, read 1,511,065 times

Advertisements

Okay all you CD super techies. I'm trying to create a new form on an HP PC running Vista Home Preimum. On all the other versions of Windows I've used, it's simple - go into the Printers folder then to File -> Server Properties and create the new form.

On this blasted OS, I have gotten to the Server Properties screen but the necessary operators (create new form checkbox and save form button) are greyed out. Yes, I right-clicked on an empty area of the screen and selected "Run as Administrator", but it didn't make a difference.

I'm wondering if the problem is that I'm connecting to this pc via pcAnywhere as opposed to being hands-on.

I even had the idea of creating the form on my local XP Pro machine, viewing the code via REGEDIT and then modifying an existing form accordingly on the Vista pc. But, alas, I can't get to REGEDIT on that pc. (Guess if it would allow be to act as an Admin for Server Properties, it certainly won't allow it for REGEDIT. )

Anyway - anyone out here in CD-land have any ideas, thoughts, and / or comments about this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 PM

6,290 posts, read 21,086,864 times
I haven't used Vista enough to really be familiar with it (there's only one Vista box in our office). As I recall, printers forms were phased out on Vista. Instead you had to go to Print Management in the Administration tools (or something like that) then Properties. Or something like that; I could very well be talking out of the side of my mouth.

Sorry I'm not more help.

For questions like this, I've had pretty good luck going to the Microsoft Support User Forums and asking a question. Usually someone is able to supply a workable answer.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:45 PM

511 posts, read 1,511,065 times
Alleycat - Thanks for your suggestion. I think the problem is that by connecting via pcAnywhere Vista prohibits me from having fully Administrator rights. I decided to control the form length by putting a Begin Job hex string in the printer properties. That seems to have done the trick. The printer now stops at 4" even though the properties show a paper type of Letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or