U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 AM

4,696 posts, read 2,431,029 times

Advertisements

I have used it for years only my PCs and it is great. No problems. I do mostly use Mac OS now however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:30 AM

21,697 posts, read 24,085,974 times
This is encouraging. My MSWord will be cut off in a couple of weeks according to their warning. The computer guy who recommended Open Office said I could still see my documents there but wouldn't be able to create one. I've downloaded OO already so whatever I lose in Word, I will have in OO. I hope.

I don't need a lot of features, just enough to be able to type out my stories so this should work just fine.

I was really angry with the computer guy who removed my Word 7 and replaced it with Word 10. He wasn't even certain he could stop the Word 10 from going away if I were to bring in my computer. I certainly don't want to pay for a whole new Word program. I got 7 from my company where I used to work for free. I even have the discs for it. But I think I will be just fine with OO.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:52 PM

28,602 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i feel that libre-office writer (and even open-office writer) are snappier than ms-word.
i feel that ms-excel is snappier than libre-office calc.
i rarely do presentations so i dont have an opinion on ms-powerpoint vs. libre-impress.
isnt that like complaining that a chevy muffler doesnt work on a ford ?
You're obviously not a car guy.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 3,001,539 times
Thank you for (inadvertently) reminding me the name of Open Office. When I switched from MS to Apple, I think it should have transfered along with everything else but it apparently did not. I've been trying for some time to remember the exact name so I could find and download it.

Open Office is, as many here have said, great. And it lets you type a letter the way you want to type it, not the way it wants you to type it.

Enjoy.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you for (inadvertently) reminding me the name of Open Office. When I switched from MS to Apple, I think it should have transfered along with everything else but it apparently did not. I've been trying for some time to remember the exact name so I could find and download it.

Open Office is, as many here have said, great. And it lets you type a letter the way you want to type it, not the way it wants you to type it.

Enjoy.
I agree. I went from a 2001 student version of MSOffice to MSWord 7. I wasn't crazy about the format of 7 but got used to it.

10 was a pain in the neck. Too many things I didn't need and not as convenient. I think I am going to like Open Office much better.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:05 AM

8,796 posts, read 5,873,464 times
OO is a great product. It is not as smooth in some functions as MS Office, but it works very well.

I have two notes:

Remember when you send a document, that is is most likely a OO file and not a doc file and though popular not everyone can open a OO file.

Second, only download from the correct page, if you are not careful is had been easy to get a virus.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:52 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,704,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This is encouraging. My MSWord will be cut off in a couple of weeks according to their warning.
Office is pretty cheap if you buy the subscription from Amazon.

Also don't use OO. Oracle basically killed it before handing it over to Apache. There's only a half dozen or so developers left and there's talk of abandoning it altogether.

All the resources went to LibreOffice.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:21 PM

16,410 posts, read 26,664,251 times
I'm a Linux user (slackware), however if I were to be unbiased I would say that Open Office is really not comparable to MS Office. If you have anything relatively important to do with this software, you're much better off spending 100 dollars and getting MS Office.

I don't mind Open Office, but I have MS Office 365 on my PC either way..

Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,877,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I use it and like it as well. I LOVE the price tag Supporting Open Source when we can is the best thing we can do. Go for it. Liz
Since you "love the price tag" which is free...I'm wondering what it is you think you're doing to "support" open source?

Or is using it for free the "support" you're talking about? Maybe you are a developer for Open Office?

Here you go, this is how to "support" Open Office. Help Us Help the World

Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm a Linux user (slackware), however if I were to be unbiased I would say that Open Office is really not comparable to MS Office. If you have anything relatively important to do with this software, you're much better off spending 100 dollars and getting MS Office.

I don't mind Open Office, but I have MS Office 365 on my PC either way..
I don't need it for anything important. At one time I did use many of the bells and whistles on MSWord but that's a thing of the past. All I need is to be able to write on it.

This morning though, I had a thought. I am not certain and I'd have to check but I believe I may still have the software for my former Word 7 program. If I do, maybe I can reinstall that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or