U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 AM

440 posts, read 1,345,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Windows XP can run on 256M. Not REAL well, but well enough. Fact.
And 1 GB will run XP just fine. Fact.
When did it not become enough? When you installed a bunch of other stuff on your PC.
I guarantee if you restored your PC back to the way it was when you bought it, it would run fine.
You mean XP all by itself with nothing on? I don't have much stuff other than the usual software like Adobe, Office etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
You mean XP all by itself with nothing on? I don't have much stuff other than the usual software like Adobe, Office etc.
I doubt very seriously that your issue was a simple as needing 2 more GB of RAM. Something else was going on. I run 512MB with XP (primarily because I dual-boot with Win98 SE) and it does just fine with a variety of programs including MS Flight Simulator 2004.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I doubt very seriously that your issue was a simple as needing 2 more GB of RAM. Something else was going on. I run 512MB with XP (primarily because I dual-boot with Win98 SE) and it does just fine with a variety of programs including MS Flight Simulator 2004.
And I guarantee you that it would run much better with 2GB of RAM.

I have a number of VMs running clean installations of XP for testing releases, and the OS uses almost 512 on a cold launch. Any application launch will immediately cause the memory swap to the HDD.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
And I guarantee you that it would run much better with 2GB of RAM.

I have a number of VMs running clean installations of XP for testing releases, and the OS uses almost 512 on a cold launch. Any application launch will immediately cause the memory swap to the HDD.
And I guarantee you that the OP's problem with "constantly slow and crashing"was not caused by having only 1 GB RAM.

As I write this, my system is using 249MB, with 260MB available. You most certainly do not need more than 512MB for surfing the web.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:22 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And I guarantee you that the OP's problem with "constantly slow and crashing"was not caused by having only 1 GB RAM.

As I write this, my system is using 249MB, with 260MB available. You most certainly do not need more than 512MB for surfing the web.
Maybe on a very clean install running something like IE 8, but not on an updated version of Windows running modern software, and not on a system that's been used for 6 years with anything installed on it.

A fresh launch of Firefox with no tabs open takes ~300 MB, hit you tube or Vimeo and watch a single HD video and it's at 500+ MB with the Flash Plugins.

A few Word docs or Excel spreadsheets can wipe out another hundred on their own.

"Crashing" I agree with you on, but we don't know what "crashing" means to the OP. Slow, however is a common symptom of not enough RAM.

Regardless, RAM has long been the cheapest performance upgrade on the market (when the system is using virtual memory).

Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,899,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
1GB of RAM is pretty dang slow, most smaller programs require minimum of at least 2GB RAM. I would even say upgrade to more if you can 3GB isn't all that much, it is enough for surfing though. I had programs on my PC that were slow with 8GB of RAM, that's how data heavy some programs can be.
How is 1GB of RAM pretty dang slow? It is no slower than 2Gb or 4Gb of RAM.

On the other hand it could be insufficient to avoid using the hard drive for swap space. That is the problem the OP solved by adding RAM. The reason his PC got slower over time is that as he added software to his XP system, he forced his computer to use more and more of the hard drive (which may be fragmented) for swap space. And since his hard drive was likely not performing as well as it could, the shortage of RAM became more and more severe.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Okay, here's my story. I've had the same PC for about 6 years running Win XP. Pretty much the only thing I do is surf the web and nothing else. My system was constantly slow and crashing so I figured I would try some solutions. Here's what I checked for,

Viruses,
Spyware,
Malware,
Windows Updates,
Different web browsers, IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari,
Disk Defrag,
Ccleaner,
Un-installing programs,
disabling items in startup,
and last but not least formating the hard drive and starting over. (this worked for about a few days and then back to the same old problems,)

All of which was to no avail. So I tried one last thing. I upgraded my memory from 1 GB to 3 GB and presto!

It's like I got a brand new computer, the thing hasn't crashed once and it's running better than ever before.

My question is, since when is 1 GB of memory insufficient just to surf the web???
OP, did you replace that original memory stick when you added memory or did you leave it in place and add another?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,486,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Windows XP can run on 256M. Not REAL well, but well enough. Fact.
And 1 GB will run XP just fine. Fact.
When did it not become enough? When you installed a bunch of other stuff on your PC.
I guarantee if you restored your PC back to the way it was when you bought it, it would run fine.
Yup.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:09 AM

7,293 posts, read 6,671,095 times
It's been a long time since RAM has been an issue for me.. I run 16GB on my HTPC gaming rig with a 1GB ram drive for temp files and a solid state drive for the windows drive.

RAM is huge though.. you want 2GB with XP, and 4+ GB with windows 7 or 8, 8GB preferred. RAM is cheap.. no reason to skimp.

A processor that has a passmark score of 4000 or higher would be number 2 priority, with a solid state drive being number 3 unless you game heavily, then a good video card is number 3.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
I'll tell you one thing that can make XP feel slow. Anti Virus software. I have 2 XP machines at work running 1GB and when I upgraded to the newest version of AVG Business, those 2 systems really took a performance hit. To test I removed it and installed MSE and they were back to behaving perfectly.
So when I say you installed software, it could be something that simple. AVG designing software for more capable machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers