U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So when I say you installed software, it could be something that simple. AVG designing software for more capable machines.
As a developer I agree, we can only support old hardware and OSes for so long. Users want new features, better features, more features. This all costs in terms of required memory, CPU, HDD, etc.

It's also incredibly expensive to support multiple versions for multiple hardware profiles. Enough so that we couldn't stay in business if we had to have multiple versions to support very old hardware.

Our software today is probably 5 times larger than it was 10 years ago, and has thousands of new features that our users have asked for.

Another factor is the tools we use. We are actually having to stay one version behind in .NET to support XP, and stayed 2 versions behind for a couple of years to make it simpler for XP users.

In this regard, it costs us money to support XP, since the feature set of the newer tools make our work easier.

Luckily, we consider XP to be not PCI compliant after EOL, so that will put an end to that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 AM

440 posts, read 1,345,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
OP, did you replace that original memory stick when you added memory or did you leave it in place and add another?
I left the original memory in place when I added the new stick.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'll tell you one thing that can make XP feel slow. Anti Virus software. I have 2 XP machines at work running 1GB and when I upgraded to the newest version of AVG Business, those 2 systems really took a performance hit. To test I removed it and installed MSE and they were back to behaving perfectly.
So when I say you installed software, it could be something that simple. AVG designing software for more capable machines.
This has got me thinking as well. I was running AVG and was noticing when I disabled it I was running a little better and I just noticed that I've had AVG turned off.

Now I don't know whether it's the memory upgrade, disabling avg or both. All I know is since putting in the memory my machine is still light years better than what it was before.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 AM

9,052 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
This has got me thinking as well. I was running AVG and was noticing when I disabled it I was running a little better and I just noticed that I've had AVG turned off.

Now I don't know whether it's the memory upgrade, disabling avg or both. All I know is since putting in the memory my machine is still light years better than what it was before.
If turning off AVG was the only other change you made, then there's you're culprit. I call tell you what it isn't....and that is 1GB RAM being insufficient for XP to run smoothly without crashing. XP runs perfectly fine and perfectly stably on half of that.

Easy enough to confirm....leave AVG off and take out that added memory stick. If your problems return, then it is something very rare and unlikely like a physical problem with that memory slot on the motherboard.

The answer to your original question, " since when is 1 GB of memory insufficient just to surf the web?", is since never. The "need" for multi-GBs of RAM is way overstated, at least where XP is concerned. Equally, the need to run with AV software 100% of the time is vastly overstated. AV software on your computer is, in fact, just another form of malware with a different name. It is big business, marketed through stirring irrational fear.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
Smile *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf
All of which was to no avail. So I tried one last thing. I upgraded my memory from 1 GB to 3 GB and presto!
Yup that will do it.....

The computer should be using VIRTUAL RAM if its needed but in general I dont think Windows Handles memory management very well at times..... YES MORE RAM WOULD DEFINELTY HELP

Good for you buddy!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 PM

16,955 posts, read 17,129,775 times
Computer are getting loaded down with more and more bells, whistles, fancy & unneeded graphics and CRAPWARE.

Go into task manager and click on performance.....you will see a buttload of JUNK taking up valuable resources.

I just bought a new laptop a little while ago.....the amout of crapware/bloatware/junkware on the installation-disk is INSANE.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,952,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Computer are getting loaded down with more and more bells, whistles, fancy & unneeded graphics and CRAPWARE.

Go into task manager and click on performance.....you will see a buttload of JUNK taking up valuable resources.

I just bought a new laptop a little while ago.....the amout of crapware/bloatware/junkware on the installation-disk is INSANE.
If you use Windows, buy a ThinkPad X, T , or W series (except the X120, X13X, X140), and click on the task manager/performance. You'll find two things that you don't need. Norton Anti-virus trial, and Skype. That'sl hardly a "buttload of JUNK".

Now if you get cheap crap, you get what you pay for.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And I guarantee you that the OP's problem with "constantly slow and crashing"was not caused by having only 1 GB RAM.

As I write this, my system is using 249MB, with 260MB available. You most certainly do not need more than 512MB for surfing the web.
What browser are you using? HTML5 sites can easily take 90mb of RAM each... and up to 300mb in a modern browser. Several tabs can add up to quite a bit of RAM.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM

I can now confirm it's definitely the memory because I've re-enabled Avast and I'm my machine is still cruising.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I can now confirm it's definitely the memory because I've re-enabled Avast and I'm my machine is still cruising.
Glad that you've come back and confirmed. The technically savvy folks here correctly pointed this out on day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers