U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 AM

16,986 posts, read 17,152,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you use Windows, buy a ThinkPad X, T , or W series (except the X120, X13X, X140), and click on the task manager/performance. You'll find two things that you don't need. Norton Anti-virus trial, and Skype. That'sl hardly a "buttload of JUNK".

Now if you get cheap crap, you get what you pay for.

YAWN, telling me what I already know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:40 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
YAWN, telling me what I already know!
We can't read minds here. Based on your actions, it wasn't apparent that you knew this... given that you didn't use the knowledge to your benefit.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 AM

9,076 posts, read 6,396,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I can now confirm it's definitely the memory because I've re-enabled Avast and I'm my machine is still cruising.
It may be memory related in a number of other ways (like a defect in the original stick or its slot), but it is not that you need more than 1 GB with XP. And you knew that when you wrote your opening post, as shown by your ending question and the thread title.

There's something else going on with your PC. Many millions have run and still run XP today on 1 GB or less (512MB in my case) very smoothly with no crashing.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I can now confirm it's definitely the memory because I've re-enabled Avast and I'm my machine is still cruising.
Have you ever tried a memory testing application?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM

440 posts, read 1,346,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Have you ever tried a memory testing application?
Yes, I ran a memory test on the original memory and it passed.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times
The higher memory requirements of Vista, 7, and now 8, is one of the reasons a lot of XP users did not upgrade.

In the case of XP the requirements and demands of the software would be the main reason that computer would run slow, not the OS itself. 1 GB was not a low amount of memory until Vista, but that was years after the introduction of XP. That is the real reason people are outfitted with 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB or more these days.

And XP has a lot of security holes in it. You can't just go commando and work without antivirus, etc. I still run antivirus on my Vista, not sure if I necessarily need to but the overhead is small and I don't notice the difference. Microsoft claims it is going to stop plugging these holes via security updates so it will be very interesting to see what happens going forward. Primary reason people love to say that you don't need antivirus on Linux and Mac is because those operating systems deal with security issues solely within the framework of the OS; permissions are a lot different on those systems and it is a lot harder for code to trick the OS into thinking it is a superuser with administrative rights to vulnerable areas of the computer. Not sure about Mac but when I was running Linux I was getting like 30 "updates" a day on Ubuntu. You do not have that extra layer of protection you have on Windows. But I could always just pull the plug out of the wall and start over without having to worry about the computer not starting up because of file corruption, etc., like I do on Vista.

Now Windows systems are trying to employ the same techniques; you have UAC prompts on Vista and 7 whenever it believes code is attempting to do something suspect plus antivirus.

Last edited by goofy328; 03-30-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers