U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,301,902 times

Advertisements

With the help of a few tech savvy C-Ders, a year ago I set up my wireless router in Denver. Stupidly (yep, say it in unison), when I moved to San Diego a few months ago, I assumed that PW would be invalid once unplugged & everything would need to be set up again, so I tossed said PW. Unbelievably, when the Time Warner tech came to my house to set up Internet, he was able to plug in the router & connect the laptop sans PW in seconds.

My computer died last week & I just received my brand new laptop. I can't set it up to go online as it's asking for the router PW... yep, the one I tossed.

Is there any way for me to retrieve that PW? Note: I'm now on a very old laptop... it has been dropped 4 times, had water dumped on it twice, overheats in 15-min & it's a Vista OS (the worst I've ever encountered in my 100-yrs of being online imho), but after tweeking it for 2-days, I was able to get it working... it just connected on its own to the 'net without entering a PW. Since this new computer is asking for the PW to complete the setup & I cannot bypass it... can I retrieve it in some way or do I need to reset the router & begin again?

Thank you for your help (even if you do laugh at my silliness at tossing the PW... blimey!)

Cheers very much & many thanks for those who do not mention my carelessness & inexpertise...

Note: My computer is slow & wonky... forgive me if I don't readily reply. I'll do my best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
If you're talking about your wi-fi password, you can log into the router and see it (by entering its IP address in a web browsers address bar), assuming you have the password to that, if you don't you can reset it back to factory defaults and set it up again. What is the make/model?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,515,243 times
Do a goggle search for Reset "the name and model of your router" then the word password and you should find how to reset it, most have a reset button on the back. You will also need to then know the default admin code which you can look up the same way and it should also show you how to get in and reset everything once inside the router via internet explorer.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Agree. Especially if you have cable. RESET the router. Cable is very easy to get going on a router.
RESET the router... there's usually a pin hole or a button on the back to do this.
Just Google RESET "ROUTER"...
Reset it. Unplug Cable Modem. Plug it back in. Reconnect. Use default password and log back in to router.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree. Especially if you have cable. RESET the router. Cable is very easy to get going on a router.
RESET the router... there's usually a pin hole or a button on the back to do this.
Just Google RESET "ROUTER"...
Reset it. Unplug Cable Modem. Plug it back in. Reconnect. Use default password and log back in to router.

I'm not sure, but are you suggesting that the OP reset the router?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM

843 posts, read 1,875,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You have to do a factory reset, not a simple reset. Often it's hold down the reset button (check the back, might be in a small hole, paper clip will hold it down) while plugging in the power. Keep the reset button held down.....

You'll possibly want to download the utilities for your router, makes it easier to find the IP address it's using.. often they do not default to DHCP.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Better idea.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,301,902 times
Default Router & computers are up & working, thank you all!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I wasn't able to figure out how to retrieve the router PW, which was my preference, as I thought it would be faster & easier, so I reset the router & began again. Before I did so & whilst online access was still an option, I downloaded the router user manual. Glad I did, as it was a needed reference a few times for a newbie such as myself.

It went well, a bit slow & a bit dicey... several times I had to go through steps multiple times for some odd reason... but, it all worked out in the end. I now have the PW highlighted in a notebook but will tape it to the bottom of the router, too. I also easily set up the new computer & amazingly, the 8-yr old twisted monster Compaq seems to have magically healed... good for me as I can watch movies on that (I'm a luddite sans TV) & work on the new laptop.

Now, I just need to figure out how to make the printer software work on the new laptop... I keep getting a message saying the printer software is already in use. Next project... You know how that bothers me, JayPee... it gets my Patanjali in a twist...

Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Now, I just need to figure out how to make the printer software work on the new laptop... I keep getting a message saying the printer software is already in use. Next project... You know how that bothers me, JayPee... it gets my Patanjali in a twist...
Hi PT, what kind of a printer is it? I would recommend, what I'd likely to try first, is to uninstall the printer software from the new laptop. Reboot the laptop. Reinstall the drivers again, preferably the latest version applicable to your version of Windows.

Most printer drivers come bundled with bloatware which often can be a nuisance than helpful so I typically just download the latest PCL drivers (if not, then the universal print drivers) and install just that. The less printer related startup process you have the better but I would not recommend stopping or disabling any printer related services as they are often a requirement for the printer to work.

If the normal uninstall/reinstall routine didn't help, then I would recommend using a more thorough uninstaller like the free version of Revo Uninstaller which after removing the registered components, it scans the registry and filesystem for any remaining related stuff and removes them (after displaying and asking for confirmation). I used this program with no issues for problematic application uninstallations.

Let us know if you still need help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers