U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM
 
548 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

when I click on a Link,... the New window opens behind my current window instead of in front ... or on top of the current window.
Is there a way to change it so the New Window does not open in back of every thing?
I'm using Windows 7 - IE9


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
Reputation: 19664
You're not using tabs?

Goto Internet Options and under General>Tabs choose to Reset Defaults.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2014, 06:35 PM
 
548 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You're not using tabs?

Goto Internet Options and under General>Tabs choose to Reset Defaults.
No. I do not like using tabs. I like for a new window to open instead.
It used to open the new window in front of the current window but now it opens it behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Jza
 
Location: New Jersey
234 posts, read 319,057 times
Reputation: 274
I also don't like using tabs. Found this, please yell back if it helped you at all:

In Windows 7, window pop-ups are control by FOREGROUNDFLASHCOUNT and FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT in the REGISTRY (You need to CLICK ON the START ICON at the leftest of your TASKBAR, and type REGEDIT in the SEARCH PROGRAMS and FILES field). Go to the REGISTRY EDITOR and it is at this path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP.

One click on the DESKTOP (Manual Display), and your will see the detail populate at the right side of the REGISTRY EDITOR window. Go to fine the FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT, and double click on it.

The EDIT DWORD small window will pop-up. Change the VALUE DATA to ZERO.

Yes, you must restart your PC in order for the change to apply.


Note many said using "3" instead of "0" solved this issue for them. Take note of the value BEFORE you change anything in case you want to set it back to what it was. Good luck.

Update: Looking into this further the issue seems to be related to flash. Make a note next time it occurs. Did the previous page before the new window you opened have flash running on it? It may be stealing focus back. I hate nagging issues like this, it's like a hang nail. Hope you get it sorted out.

Last edited by Jza; 03-20-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
 
548 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
I also don't like using tabs. Found this, please yell back if it helped you at all:

In Windows 7, window pop-ups are control by FOREGROUNDFLASHCOUNT and FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT in the REGISTRY (You need to CLICK ON the START ICON at the leftest of your TASKBAR, and type REGEDIT in the SEARCH PROGRAMS and FILES field). Go to the REGISTRY EDITOR and it is at this path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP.

One click on the DESKTOP (Manual Display), and your will see the detail populate at the right side of the REGISTRY EDITOR window. Go to fine the FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT, and double click on it.

The EDIT DWORD small window will pop-up. Change the VALUE DATA to ZERO.

Yes, you must restart your PC in order for the change to apply.

Note many said using "3" instead of "0" solved this issue for them. Take note of the value BEFORE you change anything in case you want to set it back to what it was. Good luck.

Update: Looking into this further the issue seems to be related to flash. Make a note next time it occurs. Did the previous page before the new window you opened have flash running on it? It may be stealing focus back. I hate nagging issues like this, it's like a hang nail. Hope you get it sorted out.
Jza - - Did you try that and did it work for you?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Jza
 
Location: New Jersey
234 posts, read 319,057 times
Reputation: 274
I am not trying to fix said issue. While this does occur on my Windows 7 laptop, it doesn't on my XP laptop. So I don't think it's an issue with the browser (I use Firefox) as much as I see more people experiencing your issue are using Windows 7. Also it hasn't bothered me often enough to look into fixing on the Win7 laptop. The steps above are quite easy and reversible so it doesn't hurt to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times
Reputation: 34112
This is a known issue and by Googling there does not seem to be an easy fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think !
445 posts, read 1,408,295 times
Reputation: 340
I almost always use a right click and then decide to open a new tab or a new window. This allows me to take a quick look and if it is something I do not want to look at anymore I can just x out the new tab or window.. The BACK button takes more time and sometimes will not even go back

I found that if I end up with several new windows that I want to group together (in IE11- may work in earlier versions) I can left click/hold the click and drag the tab onto a different session. For example when looking at SSD drives and monitors, I would like to group them by those two headings and them save all the tabs as a group that I can name "22mar14 monitors" for reference later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Southern California
12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times
Reputation: 34112
Found this on google. Give it a try:

Go to Windows Explorer and select Tools>Folder Options>View> and check the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" check box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
Reputation: 19664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Found this on google. Give it a try:

Go to Windows Explorer and select Tools>Folder Options>View> and check the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" check box.
Windows Explorer /= Internet Explorer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top