U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
Reputation: 2209

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
We have been using XPS systems at work and they have been quite reliable and performance wise no slouch either. The XPS systems (8300-8700) we get comes with 8GB RAM, 1TB Seagate HD and very basic video cards so your machine is definitely souped up quite a bit and shouldn't be slow in any way.

That said, I always ask those who complain about their computer being slow:
- What exactly is slow?
a) The bootup (from turning on to reaching desktop or UI)?
b) Specific application(s) only (slow to open up, editing, saving, etc.)?
c) Internet/network response (using browser, if so which browser)?
d) Accessing/using a certain external peripheral (flash drive, printer, etc.)
or
e) Overall response time of everything (opening folders, Internet, launching applications, etc.)?

When you provide the details then tech savvy people can diagnose your system with better estimation.

Also, provide the basics too, like what version of Windows you are using and what service packs, if any, is installed.

If it is under warranty which, by March you meant 2014, then it would be so I would definitely contact Dell Tech Support to notify them as well. If you had this issue from get-go, there could very well be a faulty component or even a device driver.

Good luck.
Maybe you can give me some ideas about an issue that I've experienced. A user has an Dell XPS, the upgraded from Windows 8 Home to 8 professional. Their CPU goes to 100% all the time. even if you end different task, it sometime will consume it to 100% and the Processor temp runs close to 70 Celsius The formatted and reinstalled the factor OS and CPU utilization drops to 0%, put in the Professional key and it pegs at 100% all the time.

I flashed the bios to the lasted, A12. At one point the HWMonitor app fails to pick up the CPU temp but now the CPU no longer runs at 100%, some USB devices work, keyboard and mouse, but others don't. This make me think motherboard or chipset driver. After a reboot, all the devices work again but the CPU is back at 100%.

Some things that are slow is brining up the right click context menu in explorer. I was thinking antivirus issue, so I disabled it but it was still slow. Is there a way to determine different shell extension a user might have installed?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2016, 02:18 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 829,401 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
We have been using XPS systems at work and they have been quite reliable and performance wise no slouch either. The XPS systems (8300-8700) we get comes with 8GB RAM, 1TB Seagate HD and very basic video cards so your machine is definitely souped up quite a bit and shouldn't be slow in any way.

That said, I always ask those who complain about their computer being slow:
- What exactly is slow?
a) The bootup (from turning on to reaching desktop or UI)?
b) Specific application(s) only (slow to open up, editing, saving, etc.)?
c) Internet/network response (using browser, if so which browser)?
d) Accessing/using a certain external peripheral (flash drive, printer, etc.)
or
e) Overall response time of everything (opening folders, Internet, launching applications, etc.)?

When you provide the details then tech savvy people can diagnose your system with better estimation.

Also, provide the basics too, like what version of Windows you are using and what service packs, if any, is installed.

If it is under warranty which, by March you meant 2014, then it would be so I would definitely contact Dell Tech Support to notify them as well. If you had this issue from get-go, there could very well be a faulty component or even a device driver.

Good luck.
the xps systems are nice machines to bad there tech support sucks. After explaining to a so called tech today that my system was stuck in a boot loop she still instsited on doing remote access. Now I wonder what part of my computer is stuck in a boot loop she didn't understand. There's no way anyone could pay me to own another dell system. And it's a shame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 07:22 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
the xps systems are nice machines to bad there tech support sucks. After explaining to a so called tech today that my system was stuck in a boot loop she still instsited on doing remote access. Now I wonder what part of my computer is stuck in a boot loop she didn't understand. There's no way anyone could pay me to own another dell system. And it's a shame
All vendors have issues time-to-time, based on the issue, model or parts used. I wouldn't completely drop a vendor based on its lousy tech support, most aren't that great towards home users.
You might also look into building your own system, or at least buy the parts and have a local shop or geek build it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Maybe you can give me some ideas about an issue that I've experienced. A user has an Dell XPS, the upgraded from Windows 8 Home to 8 professional. Their CPU goes to 100% all the time. even if you end different task, it sometime will consume it to 100% and the Processor temp runs close to 70 Celsius The formatted and reinstalled the factor OS and CPU utilization drops to 0%, put in the Professional key and it pegs at 100% all the time.

I flashed the bios to the lasted, A12. At one point the HWMonitor app fails to pick up the CPU temp but now the CPU no longer runs at 100%, some USB devices work, keyboard and mouse, but others don't. This make me think motherboard or chipset driver. After a reboot, all the devices work again but the CPU is back at 100%.

Some things that are slow is brining up the right click context menu in explorer. I was thinking antivirus issue, so I disabled it but it was still slow. Is there a way to determine different shell extension a user might have installed?

TIA
Sorry TIA, I honestly wouldn't have seen this (ancient) post if it wasn't for ground_pounder's post that bumped it up.
Anyhow, I doubt it is still an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top