U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,250,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I forgot to mention that I want to do via wireless. My pc is to far away from my TV. I do have a wireless network already setup.
If the TV itself is wireless you might be able to get it to recognize the computer as a drive and just navigate to the content you want to play back. If that does not work, then you will need to look into a media server setup.

Issue I always had was getting the media into a format the TV would understand. I often used VLC to playback the DVD, recording the output in VLC while I was playing it, and then taking the output, which is either AVI or MP4, and playing that back on the TV, usually by transferring it to a USB pen drive and sticking that in the TV. Make sure you hit record after you hit play and you are actually in the movie, not the DVD menu. Made that mistake a few times. You'll also need to watch the DVD in its entirety on your computer while doing this. Poor man's Chromecast.

If the TV is not you can do what I mentioned and use a Google TV device for your receiver. Not Chromecast, which is a proprietary system. Chromecast will work through certain apps downloaded through Google Play, like YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu, but it is not as versatile as something along the lines of Google TV.

Wireless is overrated though. Buy yourself a good BluRay player with a USB port and follow my instructions and save yourself a lot of trouble. You'll need a large USB drive, preferably 8 GB more more. Dump the files onto a portable hard drive and be done with it. Another issue with wireless will be lag if your bandwidth is not sufficient; in other words you'll need a faster connection, or can't or should not do other things on the same network. Makes it hard to playback HD videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
If the TV itself is wireless
You're talking about smart TV connected to wi-fi? Doesn't necessarily have to be wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
and then taking the output, which is either AVI ....
AVI is not a format, it's a video container file which can contain many types of video. Video container files may or may not have video/audio specs and with AVI it can practically be any type of video. That's why you can play some AVI's and not others, you need the codec installed. When you install a codec that can then be accessed by any video player or editor. VLC comes with it's own library of codecs however they only work within VLC and not system wide.

As far as DVD goes it's MPEG2 and most smart TV's or players should recognize it. If you just rip the disc it's really fast process and you keep the original quality. For non commercial discs you can use something like VOB2MPG. That will strip all the DVD stuff and give you just and .mpg file. For commercial discs that are encrypted you'll need to use something else.....

I have both a smart TV and smart blu ray player, haven't really messed with it much or looked at the specs. I know it won't play DV-AVI but did work with WMV and MPEG2. If I had a large DVD collection I'd probably be investigating something compatible with DVD .iso files.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As far as DVD goes it's MPEG2 and most smart TV's or players should recognize it. If you just rip the disc it's really fast process and you keep the original quality. For non commercial discs you can use something like VOB2MPG. That will strip all the DVD stuff and give you just and .mpg file. For commercial discs that are encrypted you'll need to use something else.....
I've ripped most of my DVD collection to MKV format (another container, but completely open) with MakeMKV. It's handled pretty much anything I've thrown at it.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,250,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're talking about smart TV connected to wi-fi? Doesn't necessarily have to be wireless.

AVI is not a format, it's a video container file which can contain many types of video. Video container files may or may not have video/audio specs and with AVI it can practically be any type of video. That's why you can play some AVI's and not others, you need the codec installed. When you install a codec that can then be accessed by any video player or editor. VLC comes with it's own library of codecs however they only work within VLC and not system wide.

I have both a smart TV and smart blu ray player, haven't really messed with it much or looked at the specs. I know it won't play DV-AVI but did work with WMV and MPEG2. If I had a large DVD collection I'd probably be investigating something compatible with DVD .iso files.
I found it was easier to use VLC to record the video output, than to deal with encryption. I've tried Handbrake and a few others, to no avail.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I found it was easier to use VLC to record the video output, than to deal with encryption. I've tried Handbrake and a few others, to no avail.
Handbrake is really hit or miss, and needs to have extra files in place to actually break the encryption. I started our collection with it, but started having failures after only a few disks. I've since ripped ~ 100 disks with MakeMKV, and haven't had one failure.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 PM

471 posts, read 1,374,763 times
For the TV, personally I would buy a DVD player from a major brand like Sony or Panasonic, which now average only around 30-40 dollars, and problem solved (a basic major-brand Blu-ray player now go for only @60-80 dollars each).

External DVD drives are also quite inexpensive too - on Amazon they start at around $29.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 545 times
Play DVD on TV without DVD player and DVD drive?
It's can be easier to copy it and play the videos via Chromecast, HDMI Cable or USB.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:49 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times
i have a desktop pc in my office and a kodi htpc connected to my tv in my living room.

on occassion, i use sshfs to mount my dvd-rom drive upstairs then browse to the movie file within the kodi menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or