U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,119,812 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to retrieve a document after you changed items on it~? I accidentally didn't "save as" and deleted items and added items. This may not make sense, but I keep records for different things to turn into the accountant and deleted this record of year 2013 and added 2014 with the items needed. What do I do now~? Is it totally lost~? I presume it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
I don.t know if Excel does revisioning or any type of automatic backup but if it does that would be the way to recover it. Someone else will be able to help you with that.

If not there is small chance you might be able to recover it using something like PC Inspector or other file recovery software.

PC Inspector - kostenlose Software fr die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

When you "save as" the file or parts of the file may be allocated to other parts of the disc. That will find those older files or fragments of them. It will list everything it finds and the health of what it finds. With something like Excel you should be able to repair or open what data is there.

If this is really important file stop using the computer as the more disk activity (such as viewing pages on the Internet) involved the more likely those old versions or fragments may get overwritten. Hook the disk drive to another compter and run the recovery software from there.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
If you saved over the original, it's lost. Sorry.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 AM

12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times
Start, search then type in *.xls or *.xlsx or whatever the extension is. There may be a temporary version saved somewhere.

It's worth a shot.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Wow, you guys give up too easily. OP, if you have Windows Vista, 7 or 8 you might be in luck.

Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help

Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Wow, you guys give up too easily. OP, if you have Windows Vista, 7 or 8 you might be in luck.

Someone is firing on all cylinders today!

I wasn't able to rep because rep police told me to "spread 'em!".

Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Someone is firing on all cylinders today!

I wasn't able to rep because rep police told me to "spread 'em!".
It's the thought that counts

Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,119,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don.t know if Excel does revisioning or any type of automatic backup but if it does that would be the way to recover it. Someone else will be able to help you with that.

If not there is small chance you might be able to recover it using something like PC Inspector or other file recovery software.

PC Inspector - kostenlose Software fr die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

When you "save as" the file or parts of the file may be allocated to other parts of the disc. That will find those older files or fragments of them. It will list everything it finds and the health of what it finds. With something like Excel you should be able to repair or open what data is there.

If this is really important file stop using the computer as the more disk activity (such as viewing pages on the Internet) involved the more likely those old versions or fragments may get overwritten. Hook the disk drive to another compter and run the recovery software from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you saved over the original, it's lost. Sorry.

I looked at the link you sent and never heard of it and I wasn't comfortable to download it. I emailed my PC guy and he never heard of it either. I think I saved it over the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Start, search then type in *.xls or *.xlsx or whatever the extension is. There may be a temporary version saved somewhere.

It's worth a shot.

I have no earthly idea what your talking about regarding *.sls or *xlsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

I did this on Vista. I'll look but it may not make sense to me.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I looked at the link you sent and never heard of it and I wasn't comfortable to download it.
I couldn't guarantee it's safe but I've used it many times myself and wouldn't give it a second thought installing it again. That program has been around for ages and no issues I'm aware of.

Quote:
I have no earthly idea what your talking about regarding *.sls or *xlsx
The * is a wildcard and if you do a search for *.sls it's going to return results for every file with .sls extension.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM

12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

The * is a wildcard and if you do a search for *.sls it's going to return results for every file with .sls extension.
Correct. And make sure you do *.xls not sls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers