Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 15,889 times

Advertisements

First, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it.
I'm into graphic design and I really would like to purchase a Wacom tablet (that has a screen) but they're all out of my budget range (even used ones on ebay). My question is, do you think if I purchased a (much cheaper) touchscreen monitor and hooked it up to my computer I could use it similarly for drawing graphics?
I've got Illustrator and would want to use it for that and photoshop.
Anyone happen to know pro/cons or have firsthand knowledge on why a Wacom would be better over a touchscreen? Since I really have no idea what the difference is. Or perhaps which touchscreen I should buy for drawing?
Thanks!

P.S. I've had a touch tablet before that did not have a screen, and found it weird looking at the monitor and drawing on the pad, so I couldn't exactly see where to draw next. lol.. If you do have experience with those as well, I wouldn't mind you weighing in and letting me know if you ever get used to it or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
In short, no.

Touchscreen monitors (especially when we are talking about inexpensive ones) are mostly designed for single touch input (think touching a button on the screen like an ATM machine), so there aren't enough points of contact to replicate what an input tablet does. They also generally don't have any sense of pressure differences like a good input tablet will.

For instance I have several Elo compatible touch screens in my office, and they are barely useable for navigating Windows with a mouse pointer, let alone for anything fine like stylus work. Most also won't respond to a stylus at all, as they are designed around a different technology.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,889 times
Thank you! Very informative! Exactly what I was looking for.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,194 times
Default Good cintiq alternative

I have used the 15.6" Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet With Screen de XP-Pen ( [url]https://www.xp-pen.com[/url] ) for over a year now doing art, and draws on it every single day for hours.

It's super good, every version gets amazingly better, it's also very large, great for animating and painting for 1/3rd the price of a wacom Cintiq.

And again, the screen is fantastic. It's big precise ( Have no parallax ) and it responsive (no drag).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers