U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:35 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,477,308 times

Advertisements

I have two computers at home. The older one has XP Home Edition. The newer one came with Vista Home Premium. IMO, Vista is better IF:

You have a newer computer with a faster CPU
Have at least 2 GB of memory (memory is cheap...I have 4 GB)
Use a wide screen flat panel monitor

Sure, Vista has been buggy, but MS updates have steadily increased the stability. However, I still have a problem once in awhile with Windows Explorer closing down, but use a different explorer with no problem.
BTW: My Vista computer (desktop) loads fast, more likely due to faster CPU chip and more memory, but Vista doesn't slow it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,647,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m interested in knowing who likes Vista or XP, and any good reasons for one or the other? Do you have more then one pc with both types of OS? Would you recommend Vista for those buying a new system?
Well, I like XP more than Vista anyday. With Vista, just pray none of your drivers fail. Both of my computers have XP.

However, in my experiences - if you want a stable modern OS, go with Linux. They've become more and more user friendly - and can even mimic XP/Mac OS when it comes to installing and utilizing programs.

In the end, I think the greatest OS ever made was Windows 3.11

Oh, here's a little something humorous for computer geeks. Hope you haven't heard this before:

Microsoft is attempting to build the best OS in existence. It's solid - almost unbreakable. They've taken the best parts of Windows NT, Windows CE, and Windows ME. They will be selling it in a small gray box.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
...In the end, I think the greatest OS ever made was Windows 3.11...
Heck, DOS was more more fun before windows! I even use it once in awhile.

What was NOT fun...300 baud modems before zmodem protocol came along!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:00 PM

52,161 posts, read 30,225,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Heck, DOS was more more fun before windows! I even use it once in awhile.

What was NOT fun...300 baud modems before zmodem protocol came along!
LOL... You mean you're not standing on top of the roof and shouting these messages to other posters?

I'll stick with XP, it's been the most stable OS from Microsoft, I have XP Home on my laptop, and another computer with a flight simulator on it, and XP professional on my home computer I manage my finances and everything else on, which is also the central access point on my home network.

I also have a Dell computer I built with the Red Hat Linux OS, I use it for a variety of purposes, including programming, it's also a server.

I know Microsoft will be coming out with XP Service Pack 3 next year, that is supposed to offer a big improvement in performance. We'll see.

I'm also planning on building a Quad-Core computer next year for my flight simulator, but I'm not sure if I want to install Vista on it yet.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,507,498 times
Vista, has been a success money wise for MSFT - But has in fact had mixed reviews from many. Most folks in IT prefer XP-as do most home users.

When the DELL tech support person told me to 'avoid' it I listened.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:41 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,538,436 times
Quote:
Oh, here's a little something humorous for computer geeks. Hope you haven't heard this before:

Microsoft is attempting to build the best OS in existence. It's solid - almost unbreakable. They've taken the best parts of Windows NT, Windows CE, and Windows ME. They will be selling it in a small gray box.
I think you forgot the punchline:
They've taken the best parts of Windows CE, Windows ME, and Windows NT.
They will be selling it in a small gray box.
It's going to be called CE-ME-NT.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,949,478 times
Quote:
In the end, I think the greatest OS ever made was Windows 3.11
That was a horrible OS. It was a toy hardly to be taken seriously. At the time it came out MacOS was superior in every way... it had better games, better overall functionality, a more solid interface, better graphics, better systems built for it, it was less prone to crashing, etc. To get anything really done on a Win 3.11 system you needed to learn to drop into DOS and make adjustments. In fact if I remember correctly many graphical programs asked you to drop into DOS to install and even run. The worst part of Windows 3.11 was definitely how it was a fake operating system built on top of DOS. It was a blatant piracy of MacOS graphical user interface ideas... and it was a fuzzy carbon copy at best.

The irony is that I write all that but I used to be a DOS enthusiast! I learned that as much as I enjoyed tinkering with batch files, system memory optimization, and command line interface, it was far inferior to the Macs of the day. While I was busy tinkering I had friends creating musical and voice recordings on their Macs. While I was purchasing games and hardware which wouldn't even run as advertised until I tweaked the system, my friends with Macs would install and run theirs without issue.

The only thing which WinTel machines of that era had over Mac was price. It was a huge thing though as I will readily admit that my friends and I could easily get copies of just about anything PC-wise for free installed on our machines. Compared to dolling out 3000.00 for a Mac (and perhaps another 300.00 for an Apple-specific printer) and then an additional funds needed for all additional software, well the decision was a no brainer for most of us without a lot of money. People like us ended up building the MS Empire through popularity more than through direct funding... in hindsight am I proud of that?... definitely not. But it was Apple's fault as they placed a premium price on their products which was out of reach for most potential customers, so it's hard for me to feel very bad. They also missed the boat when it came to appealing towards enterprises (they didn't put forth enough effort to develop that market). If my parents could have afforded the $3500.00+ to get a Mac and lots of software for my family, then we would have had one... but alas we didn't like most Americans, so I bought myself a PC instead.

In hindsight I think most adults today would have wished that the PC-Mac war would have ended differently. So much money was given to Microsoft and yet the products released over the course of the last 10 years from them have all been incredibly bug-ridden AND prone to hacking, viruses/malware & spyware. You can hardly put a price on the wasted time troubleshooting crashes resulting from those things.

The good news is that with the latest Intel-based Macs and MacOS 10.5, Leopard, there's a major market share shift going on. At the educational institution level, students and faculty are flocking to Macs after a 10+ year hiatus. People are starting to realize that as of this point in time, you get what you pay for, and indeed the premium price for an Apple computer has never provided so much bang for the buck. The largest obstacle today will be convincing those who are ~20 years old and younger that indeed although they most likely grew up in WinTel machine households, MacOS is worth learning and using for numerous reasons. Although they have only known Microsoft Office, there are other choices out there which work very well and in some cases much better - you just need to take some time to learn them :-)

All that said, I do feel like Microsoft had an excellent product with Windows 2000, but they just dropped the ball with XP and Vista which never really did represent fantastic transformation nor evolution of the Microsoft Operating systems. It seems they're just more highly patched versions of each other, still with massive security issues and with bizarre software bundles and incompatibilities.

If you want to purchase a new system today, and you are looking for web browsing, work productivity, great graphics capability, photo and web editing, and other multimedia capability then look no further than a Mac. If your in your 20s-30s and you are into video games (aka addicted to them) or instead really want to buy something which upfront is "cheap" then perhaps a WinTel machine makes more sense.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 AM

578 posts, read 2,910,027 times
Vista is not as good as XP imo its not very stable in many areas and not a patch on XP SP2 I hope Microsoft hurry and release a SP for vista to address the current issues vista has.

I found that XP was not only much more stable but much more faster plus it worked with just about everything where as vista doesn't so you have to go searching for new drivers if you can get them.

I am also disappointed in how Vista is just XP but with a few add-ons and new icons it still has the XP feel not a complete leap like from Windows 98 to XP which was a complete new fresh look.

Every time Microsoft release an OS it is always poor with many issues and bugs that need to be addressed just like XP before the SP2 came along so I would stay with XP until then but since I bought a new laptop which came with Vista I will just persevere.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:06 AM

2,275 posts, read 5,721,240 times
I work at a small company (six people total), and I'm responsible for the care and feeding of our computers. We use XP at work, and have been happy with it.

I purchased a new home computer a few months ago. When trying to decide between XP and Vista, I went with Vista. The reason is because when the time comes that I have to get a new computer for work, and they're no longer selling XP, I wanted to be familiar with Vista.

I've not had a problem with Vista. I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I do play The Sims, and I also use Photoshop, as well as the regular Microsoft Office suite. I was using Open Office until a couple of weeks ago, but OO has issues with mail merges - something I need to do frequently for work, and sometimes need to work from home. I have Microsoft Office 2000, and was pleased when it installed without a single hiccup.

Vista's loading time has not been an issue at all for me. It takes no longer than XP does at work.

If you're someone who likes to tweak their OS a lot, then Vista may not be for you, from what I've read. But simply from the regular home user standpoint, I've been happy with it so far. Not a single complaint.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM

312 posts, read 986,281 times
I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I think it's vastly underrated. While performance requires slightly better hardware than previous Windows operating systems, what one hasn't? Windows XP had higher system requirements than 2000. 2000 had higher system requirements than ME. ME had higher requirements than 98... etc. etc. etc.

The new Aero interface is nice and works on my low-end laptop with onboard video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers