U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:51 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,474,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
...Sure, Vista has been buggy, but MS updates have steadily increased the stability. However, I still have a problem once in awhile with Windows Explorer closing down, but use a different explorer with no problem...
Well, I found the problem with Vista's Windows Explorer closing down. It was on an XP forum () but had to do with a bad context menu handler. I followed the instructions in Method 2:
Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

And, using this program:
ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
Note: You'll have to run it under Administrative mode.

Found out RealPlayer was the offending culprit, so I disabled it and now no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
In the end, I think the greatest OS ever made was Windows 3.11
Actually the Windows 3.X line was not an OS at all, it was a DOS shell.
As far as XP and Vista, I prefere XP, it's tried and true and reliable. SP3 will be out soon for it as well, and I'm a heavy gamer. For general work, web surfing, etc, I have a dual boot of OSX 10.4.10 on my home built P4 that I prefere to use.

Last edited by NHDave; 12-09-2007 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 12:04 PM

2,338 posts, read 7,073,864 times
I've used every version of Windows from 95 on (except Server 2003) and have been a SUSE Linux user for several years. I brought two laptops with Vista (one is Basic...the other is Home Premium). I actually like Vista. I don't have any issues with loading time. I actually appreciate how Vista presents the folder (with thumbnails of your files...something KDE for Linux had for ages) and search options for your files. These laptops are mainly used for office work and run MS Office 2007 quite well.

Personally I don't think Vista can hold a candle for Linux (have never owned a Mac...but I would like to get one for my next desktop); but I think it's an improvement over XP...especially in appearance. Finally, the windows interface feels like it's moved into the new millennium.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,719,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I actually appreciate how Vista presents the folder (with thumbnails of your files...something KDE for Linux had for ages) and search options for your files.
I love this, too.

I was commenting to my husband this morning that I don't know if it's Vista, or the new computer, or the new version of Photoshop Elements (or a combination of one or more), but PS Elements loads a LOT faster than the previous version I had. My previous computer wasn't ancient, but loading the program and multiple folders used to take a lot longer.

I also like the Windows Photo Gallery that automatically launches to quickly view photos when you double-click them in a folder. It makes it so easy to scroll through photos, and play with them a little.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM

783 posts, read 2,370,490 times
Recommend Vista only if one has reliable hardware support if not go with xubuntu or kubuntu. I have heard pc-bsd is good but i have not yet tried it.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,010,420 times
I am on Vista now. I was saying the "need to get used to it" tag line for a while. But as I think of it more and more, I really like XP over vista. I had less problems with it than I do now on a new computer that I build for Vista.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 PM

30,950 posts, read 17,199,567 times
I have two PCs here at home, both of them with Windows XP (mine has XP Professional, the other has XP Media Center). I bought this computer I'm using back at the end of September from Dell. I had the option of configuring it with either XP or Vista, and chose XP since I don't want to go through a learning curve with Vista---yet. I think I'll keep using XP until Microsoft doesn't support it anymore. By then, I might have switched to a Mac.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,600,178 times
I installed Vista Ultimate on an existing XP box. Had to add a new graphics card ($125), and new NIC card ($45) the one on the mobo wouldn't connect even though Vista said it worked fine, RAM ($85), and I can't use all the features on my printers. Well, couldn't. The box has had the graphics card removed for gaming on the wife's XP box, and the Vista PC is sitting in the corner gathering dust, where it belongs.

I've been working with PC's since my first Apple. I had it one week and it went back. Purchased an IBM PC-1 with DOS 1.1. Been MS ever since. Make my living consulting. Vista sucks. It might not next year, or the year after, but for now, unless you buy all new equipment, it's a rip off.

MS is making money on the release, but not where they want you to think they are. The money is flowing in from training classes for all Microsoft Certified System Engineers (MCSE). They cost a fortune and if you want to keep your certs you have to take them. Now there's a racket for ya'!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,793,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
XP - but in all honesty, after my recent experience with Windows, I will be switching to a MAC after Christmas. I have never had such a totally frustrating experience in my 20+ years of computer and OS usage .. sorry you caught me in a bad moment.

If you really want a reliable OS, not that you were asking, UNIX or Linux is the way to go. :-)
Windows Vista basically 'told' me to go bite the Apple.

My G/F has Vista; hated it for many reasons and when my XP homebrew machine died; a Mac Mini replaced it.

Barring a major OS change over at Microsoft; they have lost me as a customer--------forever.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,216,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Heck, DOS was more more fun before windows! I even use it once in awhile.

What was NOT fun...300 baud modems before zmodem protocol came along!
LOL... Thank goodness for the advances they made in modems and increased the baud rate to 9600 !

By the way SteelMan, I don't think they call it DOS anymore, it's called Windows Command Prompt now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers