U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,477,308 times
Reputation: 1907

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL... Thank goodness for the advances they made in modems and increased the baud rate to 9600 !

By the way SteelMan, I don't think they call it DOS anymore, it's called Windows Command Prompt now.
What, they have 9600 baud modems???? I thought my Commodore 1200 baud modem was the "cats meow!" Now, I have to upgrade again!

In Vista, I use an "Elevated Command Prompt," but first you have to get permission from UAC to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
What, they have 9600 baud modems???? I thought my Commodore 1200 baud modem was the "cats meow!" Now, I have to upgrade again!
I gotta V.34+ USR HST/DS, babie!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,622,290 times
Reputation: 2072
I am a network admin and have to support

Vista, XP and MAC OSs and here is my take

Vista: looks nice, very nice but has a TON of bugs. These bugs are to the point of being annoying and not worth the trouble.

Xp: Solid OS, has its problems i.e. mostly crashes here and there. Other than that its pretty good now.

MAC OS X: great OS, user friendly and in all my years I have rarely if EVER had to service one of these things, they just work.

Linux (Ubuntu specifically): I use this on my personal laptop and I love it. Linux is not the most user friendly. However most distributions have forums that have some of the best help you could ever imagine. To top it all off, the darn thing is FREE. I can do EVERYTHING I was previously doing on my XP machine and then some and again ALL free. As far as eye candy goes, I am running something called compiz on Linux which is where OSX and Vista got their ideas from eye candy from. To put it simple, this thing blows away anything anyone has seen on Vista or OS X to date.

Again not the most user friendly but for those with some what technical skills I would recommend Linux. For everyone else MAC OS X and for those who don't use the computer for much then I say stick with windows.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m interested in knowing who likes Vista or XP, and any good reasons for one or the other? Do you have more then one pc with both types of OS? Would you recommend Vista for those buying a new system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,477,308 times
Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I am a network admin and have to support

Vista, XP and MAC OSs and here is my take

Vista: looks nice, very nice but has a TON of bugs. These bugs are to the point of being annoying and not worth the trouble.

Xp: Solid OS, has its problems i.e. mostly crashes here and there. Other than that its pretty good now.

MAC OS X: great OS, user friendly and in all my years I have rarely if EVER had to service one of these things, they just work.

Linux (Ubuntu specifically): I use this on my personal laptop and I love it. Linux is not the most user friendly. However most distributions have forums that have some of the best help you could ever imagine. To top it all off, the darn thing is FREE. I can do EVERYTHING I was previously doing on my XP machine and then some and again ALL free. As far as eye candy goes, I am running something called compiz on Linux which is where OSX and Vista got their ideas from eye candy from. To put it simple, this thing blows away anything anyone has seen on Vista or OS X to date.

Again not the most user friendly but for those with some what technical skills I would recommend Linux. For everyone else MAC OS X and for those who don't use the computer for much then I say stick with windows.
I guess you're lucky that your workplace does not have only MAC OS systems. Otherwise, you'd be out of work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,622,290 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I guess you're lucky that your workplace does not have only MAC OS systems. Otherwise, you'd be out of work!
someone would still have to support the network itself i.e. Domain Controllers, File Server, Printer server etc. If it was a all MAC situation I would be happy as heck, wouldn't have to run around all day. I am one network admin doing desktop and network administration for almost 200 users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,817,405 times
Reputation: 5581
I am now running Linux and couldn't be happier. It is so fast and everything works better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top