U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM

30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times

Advertisements

I’m interested in knowing who likes Vista or XP, and any good reasons for one or the other? Do you have more then one pc with both types of OS? Would you recommend Vista for those buying a new system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Ive got Vista Ultimate on my main work pc and laptop. Ive got Win2k on my older machine I use for fun, gaming and whatnot., Ive got suse on another box but am looking to experiment with Linux OS 07

Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
PC Mag came out with their recent mag...and the opinion articles still prefer XP. Does that tell you something? Liz

Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM

6,290 posts, read 21,086,864 times
I have some friends who like Vista, and just as many (if not more) that hate Vista. I still use XP both for the office and home and don't plan to switch over until either I have to, or I buy a new box.

There's some good things about Vista, but, as you might expect from MS, it's "two-steps forward, one-step back" or maybe "two-steps forward, two-steps back".

If I were buying a new computer, especially if it were my first computer, yeah, I guess I'd go with Vista.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,947,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m interested in knowing who likes Vista or XP, and any good reasons for one or the other? Do you have more then one pc with both types of OS? Would you recommend Vista for those buying a new system?
If I did have to choose between Vista and XP - I would choose XP... because it is well-established (defined as: well patched, updated, and it is predictable). There have been numerous Vista issues which are still yet unaddressed and the one which although trivial to others to me matters a lot is how long it takes to startup and shutdown... I'm sorry but I don't want to wait 5-7 minutes for my machine to boot up when I click the power button. That just seems inexcuseable. XP is faster.

I cannot recommend a Windows PC at this point in time unless you want a system for gaming or if you want to customize/tinker with your computer, or if you have an extremely tight budget (sub-$1000.00). The reason is that the Intel based Macs with MacOS 10.5 "Leopard" are superior in too many ways to list all of them.
The top most reasons I will name include:
1) no viruses/malware/spyware issues to worry about on a Mac
2) XP and Vista actually run faster on a new Apple Computer (you can run them in parallel to MacOS... faster/flawlessly/without issue - what more could you ask for?)
3) you get much more functionality with the software that comes with a Mac right now, functionality you would have to purchase separate software for if you bought a PC.

Last edited by belovenow; 12-06-2007 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM

3,350 posts, read 12,797,179 times
We have Vista on the new laptop and it's painfully slow starting up as well as opening programs. I know there is a way to speed it up a bit but I'm not too comfortable with messing with the unknown. My laptop is an HP dual core pentium with 2 G.B. of memory. The rest of the computers in our home all have XP and run fine. I've read where many people are switching their Vista machines back to XP. If I wanted to do that, I assume I would have to buy the XP program. Any thoughts on switching back to XP or speeding up Vista?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times
XP - but in all honesty, after my recent experience with Windows, I will be switching to a MAC after Christmas. I have never had such a totally frustrating experience in my 20+ years of computer and OS usage .. sorry you caught me in a bad moment.

If you really want a reliable OS, not that you were asking, UNIX or Linux is the way to go. :-)

Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,932,717 times
XP till service pack 2 of vista comes out. Then i'll contemplate installing it. Stress on the word contemplate.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,572,590 times
Go with what works for you. If you contemplating any kind of PC gaming at all, stick with Windows, XP is probably the safe bet. Haven't used Vista myself, but still seems like there are compatibility issues.

If you want a locked down computing environment, go with a mac. They are too expensive for my taste, especially if you just want email and web access. But with the controlled environment apple has, you'll have less hassles.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times
I want to thank everyone for the great information and comments on Vista, XP and any other OS. I also have given Linux some thought but haven’t decided on it yet. Mac info seems very helpful as well and I appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers