U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't believe I've been in the IT business for 15+ years and I don't think I've ever heard of a blown capacitor on a mobo. Although I suppose if one did blow, I'd just replace the mobo and not screw around with replacing little parts like that.
How old is the PC?
I've seen more in monitors and PSU's than on mobo's, but I've had 2 personally, and my parents had one. These were all cheaper boards (ECS or MSI), not my usual Asus ones, and the last one was either a socket 478 board with a bunch of years on it.

Back in '02 or '03 so we had a rash of PSUs, and then mobo's' that suddenly started having bad caps. IIRC it was a very large batch of counterfeit caps. I know that the PSUs were all in small form factor K6 boxes that got very hot, and I think the mobo's were Asus Tualatin based socket 370s, again in very tight boxes with low airflow.

With the PSUs they started with a recall, but ended up sending us caps so that we could turn them around faster (we probably had 300+ boxes in the field, and this vendor served a lot of other industries as well).

With the mobo's they were all out of warranty by the time it started happening, so the owner had us trying to replace caps on them to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM

219 posts, read 366,559 times
Either replace computer or replace mobo but do not pay a computer store to replace the caps.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:48 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,157,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Either replace computer or replace mobo but do not pay a computer store to replace the caps.
I still haven't been given a good reason why not try the least expensive way first?

Under $100.00 compared to $500.00 or More?

If it blows (cap) again .. I would go new pc but why not the lesser route first.

(If you insist .. I can take up a collection)

Just kidding everyone but Thanks!

Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I still haven't been given a good reason why not try the least expensive way first?
In my mind, it's the low chance of success. It's not about blowing it again, but about a recap not actually fixing the problem.

It's like any other gamble; there is a decent chance that you'll lose, so don't invest more than you can afford to lose. If you are willing to gamble $40 or $50 on the chance that it will work (with no guarantee), then there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
I can't believe I've been in the IT business for 15+ years and I don't think I've ever heard of a blown capacitor on a mobo. Although I suppose if one did blow, I'd just replace the mobo and not screw around with replacing little parts like that.
How old is the PC?
I've seen a number of them, older Intel boards and not so old Asus boards, along with various OEMS such as HP. Also a number of power supplies and LCD monitors, even a Linksys 24 port switch.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM

14,367 posts, read 21,033,282 times
Default You need to get out more

Quote:
I can't believe I've been in the IT business for 15+ years and I don't think I've ever heard of a blown capacitor on a mobo.
Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are Bad Capacitors Killing Your Computer? | Mike's Computer Repair Blog
Leaking Capacitors Muck up Motherboards - IEEE Spectrum

Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
I didn't say I didn't believe, daveB... just that it's new to me. Or it may not be... if I did have a dead mobo I would just replace it and not bother troubleshooting down to a component level...

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The last paragraph is the best
Industrial espionage implicated

Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I didn't believe, daveB... just that it's new to me. Or it may not be... if I did have a dead mobo I would just replace it and not bother troubleshooting down to a component level...
I think that I've just grown used to checking the caps first, since it's easy to spot, and I tend to immediately diagnose the board as trash as soon as I see them (no reason to diagnose anything else at that point).

I haven't replaced caps on any mother board that I've owned (only for my previous employer), but I've recapped a number of monitors, and a couple of PSUs, and gotten several more years out of each one (for less than $5 each time).

I did have a UPS that I replaced a couple of bad caps in, and it still didn't work, but it was worth trying for a $100+ UPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers