U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,157,414 times

Advertisements

Recommendations please.

My PC went down months ago.

I wasn't pressed for a solution on the issue because at the time I was almost blind.

When possible, I have been using a friends PC.

I just had cataract surgery so I am able to go back to my own smaller monitor instead of having to 'stand' 6 inches from my friends 60" monitor.

My questions:

I have one blown cap and my hard-drive (through my own clumsiness) is completely disconnected.

I can do two different things with the PC:

(1) Take it to a repair shop and have them replace the blown capacitor and hook my hard-drive back up or ..

(2) Purchase a new PC.

I would prefer getting my PC back running because the hard-drive has a lot of 'stuff' on it that I want.

Which option do you think would be the least expensive .. repair or purchase?

Thanks Everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
A blown cap on the motherboard is a complete crap shoot. The shop I worked for had a very low success rate at fixing them.

The stuff on the hard drive is recoverable even on a new computer. Just plug it in as a second drive, and away you go.

If the PC isn't too old, I'd probably go for a replacement motherboard over a recap, if it's older, I'd probably just replace it, and move the old HDD to the new machine to get the data off of it.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
A blown cap on the motherboard is a complete crap shoot. The shop I worked for had a very low success rate at fixing them.

The stuff on the hard drive is recoverable even on a new computer. Just plug it in as a second drive, and away you go.

If the PC isn't too old, I'd probably go for a replacement motherboard over a recap, if it's older, I'd probably just replace it, and move the old HDD to the new machine to get the data off of it.
Thank You.

I forgot the critical stuff: (My PC is a Vista 64bit FX4710-UB802A 2Q9300 quad core with a SATA ll 640 GB hard drive)

Here is a picture of the board and blown cap (top right next to the cable) ..

(The smaller brown top Below the Big cap.)

Old 03-29-2014, 07:26 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
I've seen so many of them over the years that it jumps right out!

Well, that's a socket 775 board, so older tech. Almost any current gen machine is going to be a huge improvement performance wise.

There are just a few replacement boards available with that particular socket, and they certainly won't be the same board that you already have (unless you hunt down a used one on the web), so you'd have to reload Vista even with a new board.

At that point, a new machine with the old HDD mounted as a secondary drive would be my first choice (if money isn't an issue).

If money's an issue you could get a replacement motherboard, and reload the machine, but you'd need all of the original disks, and you'd need to back up everything first.

You could try having it recapped, but I'd probably not spend more that $15 or $20 on it, and wouldn't have much expectation (this doesn't mean it won't work, just that it's hit or miss, as sometimes the failing caps cause other components to fail).

Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Thanks Skunk Workz

I have also emailed a couple of highly regarded repair shops in the area to see what they have to say.

One shop .. Computer Repair Doctor Of Richmond has been on and praised by our local news quite often.

I'll let you know the responses.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Keep in mind that you want to replace ALL caps that are identical to the blown one, not just the blown one. If that one went, the others are likely to follow.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:13 AM

14,367 posts, read 21,033,282 times
Just buy a new computer.
Move your data to the new one.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Just buy a new computer.
Move your data to the new one.
I have been told that replacing a cap will only cost me around $40.00 to $50.00 (in shop) so why not try that first?

Sure it may blow again but heck .. I had a brand new pc once that had a bad board from right out of the box!

Why not go the least inexpensive route first?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
I can't believe I've been in the IT business for 15+ years and I don't think I've ever heard of a blown capacitor on a mobo. Although I suppose if one did blow, I'd just replace the mobo and not screw around with replacing little parts like that.
How old is the PC?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't believe I've been in the IT business for 15+ years and I don't think I've ever heard of a blown capacitor on a mobo. Although I suppose if one did blow, I'd just replace the mobo and not screw around with replacing little parts like that.
How old is the PC?
Maybe four years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers