U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 5,660 times

Advertisements

So, this week started off well... My kid asked me to install a game from Steam for him. So here we go, I buy the game, install the thing and then... 2 hours in, my kid comes running, says he needs help getting into the game again. So what do we have: full on blocked windows account, which was the only one, so basically I had to go into BIOS and reset the computer with its backup disk back to factory settings. The saving grace here is that all files I had there were in a passport HDD I always carry around. But this is nonetheless a HUGE pain, that just took up the entirety of my Sunday and well into early morning as I configured everything back to how it was...

I need something that prevents my kid from messing with the settings. I know he's a big boy and a terrible liar, so I pretty much figured he messed around by the look on his face. I had a talk with him about it, and we sat down so I could explain what was offlimits and then I came to this realization: Windows is not fit for children.

Because everything in there is offlimits, if you think about it!

Is there like a good parental control system that I can put here and just turn Windows into a suitable playpen for my kid? With his own programs and toys? No taskbar or folders, control panel, internet browser, etc? If anyone has used anything of the sort, please share it with me. I REALLY don't want to go through this again anytime soon.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

43,012 posts, read 93,714,065 times
Consider upgrading to Windows 8. The controls are not easy to find. It has no start button. There is no control panel. You can even unpin the utility center and file explorer icons from the task bar.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

4,762 posts, read 11,409,173 times
Go to a public library and speak with their computer guru. That have "kid proof" computers there and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Note I have a similar problem with my dog stepping on the remote control on the couch - I wind up taking out the batteries to reset it.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 PM

6,152 posts, read 6,794,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulvoice View Post
So, this week started off well... My kid asked me to install a game from Steam for him. So here we go, I buy the game, install the thing and then... 2 hours in, my kid comes running, says he needs help getting into the game again. So what do we have: full on blocked windows account, which was the only one, so basically I had to go into BIOS and reset the computer with its backup disk back to factory settings. The saving grace here is that all files I had there were in a passport HDD I always carry around. But this is nonetheless a HUGE pain, that just took up the entirety of my Sunday and well into early morning as I configured everything back to how it was...

I need something that prevents my kid from messing with the settings. I know he's a big boy and a terrible liar, so I pretty much figured he messed around by the look on his face. I had a talk with him about it, and we sat down so I could explain what was offlimits and then I came to this realization: Windows is not fit for children.

Because everything in there is offlimits, if you think about it!

Is there like a good parental control system that I can put here and just turn Windows into a suitable playpen for my kid? With his own programs and toys? No taskbar or folders, control panel, internet browser, etc? If anyone has used anything of the sort, please share it with me. I REALLY don't want to go through this again anytime soon.

Thanks!
Just teach the kid how to use a computer!
Seriously if he is old enough to use a computer without you right there he should probably be being taught what everything does. It sounds like he doesn't even know how to get back to a game if it closes, that's sad.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 5,556,965 times
Walk into the room at random intervals or simply stay there and watch him like a hawk. I think theres a word for that; super- something.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM

501 posts, read 725,809 times
I would encourage you to install a virtual machine with a copy of windows on it.

Virtual Machines are programs that you run from the desktop, but when you run a virtual machine it runs a clone of Windows inside a program. You can do anything you want on the virtual machine - install software, change settings, mess around with stuff. And if you screw it up, you simply delete the virtual machine and your computer stays intact.

You should encourage your kid to screw around with Windows settings and learn it. He might be a good computer programmer, IT guy, computer repair person, and he is learning. These careers are all good careers with stable jobs and good pay. But, I recognize he needs to be able to play without screwing up the actual family computer.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM

584 posts, read 670,415 times
Simple set up a limited account for him to use. Don't let him have admin rights.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 5,660 times
Thanks for the pointers! My kid is very young still and only this year did we allow him to use the computer for the first time, and it's only for his kiddie games. Personally I wouold prefer something focused, he has time to figure out Windows. As for Windows 8, yeah... may be about time to get into that.

In the meantime, I looked around and found this: Magic Desktop 8
Has anybody used this? These guys put testimonials there, but I always take that stuff with a grain of salt. They seem to have a trial version, but I really don't want to install this if it's going to cause more problems than it solves...

Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM

32 posts, read 38,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Consider upgrading to Windows 8. The controls are not easy to find. It has no start button. There is no control panel. You can even unpin the utility center and file explorer icons from the task bar.
Windows 8 does have a start button. It's the key with the Windows Symbol. The key brings up the start menu which is now a screen, known as Windows Metro, instead of a button on the task bar.

Windows 8 has a control panel in metro as well as an identical desktop control panel that is the same as the Windows Vista and Windows 7 control panel. Accessing it is as easy is right-clicking the bottom left corner of the task bar and selecting control panel from the drop down menu. You can also get to it by going to the start screen, typing in control panel, hit settings and then control panel and it will pop right up.

How To Open Control Panel in Windows 8 & 8.1

You could pin programs and files to the task bar as far back as Windows XP.

No offense but you've lured yourself into a false sense of security.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
I'd second the limited account.

Log into the main account, go to Users, and create a User level account (non admin), and give him his own user name and account.

Then password the main admin account. Whenever he tries to mess with something (including installing software), it will ask for the admin password.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers