Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,640 times

Advertisements

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and enjoy having the Clock, Weather, & Calendar Gadgets on my PC Desktop but I just learned there is a Security Risk using them.
If I am only using those 3 on the desktop, is the risk that bad?
And another question... if I am not using them on my Desktop and they are just sitting in the 'Gadget Gallery Folder', with the rest of all the Gadgets, is there still a Security Risk?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
From 2 years ago Disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets NOW on Vista and Windows 7. Microsoft warns of security risk | Naked Security

Personally I still use the gadgets I used back then, not all of them are a risk.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
From 2 years ago Disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets NOW on Vista and Windows 7. Microsoft warns of security risk | Naked Security

Personally I still use the gadgets I used back then, not all of them are a risk.
I just switched from Windows XP to a Refurbished Computer with Windows 7 Professional, so this is all new to me. When I discovered the Gadgets Gallery Folder I put the Calendar on my desktop, then I added the Weather and the Clock. I really like them.
Do you think those 3 that I am using are a risk?
There are several others in that Gadgets Gallery Folder that I don't use. Do you think having them sit in the folder and not on the PC Desktop will be a Security Risk?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
I don't think a list of bad gadgets was ever released so I have no idea, nor do I recall any wave of attacks using this method. I think it was more that someone could create a gadget and use it against you if you installed it so I think you're fine with the stock ones.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:51 AM

471 posts, read 1,607,461 times
When I still had my Windows 7 laptop, I also read that security risk note on Microsoft's website.........and ignored it i.e. I continued to use the (useful) calendar and weather gadgets.

Why?

In my opinion, EVERY program on a computer is a potential security risk, so I am not going to become paranoid about a couple of convenience items on my desktop.

And what's strange is that Windows 8.1 - what I am stuck with now - includes lots of "apps" on that irritating Start screen that usually do the same thing as 7's desktop gadgets ----> how come they aren't listed as security risks? Or are they, and I haven't read that part of their website yet?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
When I still had my Windows 7 laptop, I also read that security risk note on Microsoft's website.........and ignored it i.e. I kept the (useful) calendar and weather gadgets.

Why?

In my opinion, EVERY program on a computer is a potential security risk, so I am not going to become paranoid about a couple of convenience items on my desktop.

And what's strange is that Windows 8.1 - what I am stuck with now - includes lots of "apps" on that irritating Start screen that usually do the same thing as 7's desktop gadgets ----> how come they aren't listed as security risks? Or are they, and I haven't read that part of their website yet?
While they may technically provide some of the same information in a similar fashion (being HTML based), they are really different in how they are built, and the Win8 apps are completely sandboxed in a much different fashion than the gadgets were.

That said, I have one gadget running on my Windows 7 desktop still.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the opinions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers