U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,776,860 times

Advertisements

Have you ever heard of ReactOS?

The goal of the project is to give birth to a free and "open source" operating system, just like Linux, but not based on Linux, that will be 100% compatible (or at least 99% compatible) with softwares originally developed for Windows.

That is: a free and open source OS, in the same philosophy of Linux, BUT not based on the Linux technology. Instead, it is being built to look like Windows, feel like Windows, and run almost every software that was originally created to run on Windows.

Imagine a free OS, that you can download for free from the internet, but this OS can run Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and almost every single software that was ever developed to run on Windows, including games!

That is the goal of the ReactOS project.

This is the official website of the project: ReactOS Project

They are currently in "alpha version", so it can only be used for tests, and only runs a few Windows-made softwares without errors.

But the fact is: they already have the basic "core" for it, so it has potential to become a full operating system!

They need support from people to achieve that. It's a community based project, and open source.

I will support them, and I think everyone should do that, specially now that Windows XP will no longer receive support from Microsoft!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,212,389 times
It's been in alpha for 10 years. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a stable version. Even with its many flaws, Linux + Wine is still the best alternative to Windows for running Windows programs.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM

Yeah, I know it has been in alpha version for years, but now that Microsoft is terminating support for Windows XP, I think the project got a real chance to make a step forward.

But it needs our help.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Jza

234 posts, read 319,057 times
Very interesting. It'd be nice if this picked up steam. I feel as if Ubuntu has risen up on the Linux front and it'd be nice if this took off with the vast number of awesome software built to run on the NT platform.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Yeah, I know it has been in alpha version for years, but now that Microsoft is terminating support for Windows XP, I think the project got a real chance to make a step forward.

But it needs our help.
If they've made so little progress in 10 years how is XP going end of life going to help

Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,643,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

But it needs our help.
What help do you suggest?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,063,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If they've made so little progress in 10 years how is XP going end of life going to help
I don't see the point either.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

Simple: many users of Windows XP feel a little sad about the end of Microsoft support to the OS, and they would love to have a free substitute for Windows XP.

That could make the interest about React OS to grow.

The project started a fundraising campaign today, and that's why I started this thread here today!

I use to visit their website regularly since some months ago, and since they started this new fundraising on Indiegogo today, I decided to "give a little help" by starting this thread here!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:20 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,643,650 times
Heads up:

If you intend on running this 10 year old alpha OS on VMware Fusion it requires version 6.

Addressing the OP and Windows XP users "sad"

Just because support has ended for XP for the most part doesn't mean squat.

~ AV providers will still be supplying updated signatures.
~ The people still using XP are not the types to upgrade their hardware hence no need for a new OS.
~ The people still using XP are not having any software/driver issues hence no need for a new OS.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Heads up:

If you intend on running this 10 year old alpha OS on VMware Fusion it requires version 6.

Addressing the OP and Windows XP users "sad"

Just because support has ended for XP for the most part doesn't mean squat.

~ AV providers will still be supplying updated signatures.
~ The people still using XP are not the types to upgrade their hardware hence no need for a new OS.
~ The people still using XP are not having any software/driver issues hence no need for a new OS.

Well, you seen to have some kind of issue against the ReactOS project?

Why are you trying to convince people to not even try it?

Do you work for Microsoft?

Mozilla Firefox is an open source software, and everyone uses it, and it's a huge success. There is no reason to believe that ReactOS can't reach the same level of success as Firefox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or