U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,853,001 times

Advertisements

My computer (Dell desktop, Vista 6.0, IE 9.0) recently was infected with JollyWallet virus/popups, whatever. I followed instructions suggested br MicroSoft. It appears to have eliminated the problem. I use MS Security Essentials for my firewall and virus protection. Evidently I need more than that full time. In the process of eliminating JollyWallet I ended up with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 15 day free trial software installed. Appears it will cost $24.95 to purchase 1 year protection. Being computer illiterate I have 2 questions:
1) Do I need Anti-Malware software installed in addition to MS Security Essentials?
2) If answer to question 1 is yes, is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware a good option?
Thanks for your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:47 AM

5,370 posts, read 11,272,073 times
If you ,
1 - stay away from *strange websites*,
2 - do not open e-mails from sources that are either unknown to you or *look strange*,

then the two applications should be OK.

Important is that you make those applications schedule regular scans and sweeps.

ALtho ... , you will hear from other sources that there may be *better* choices !
Sadly ... , nothing is perfect !

Malwarebytes does have a free version !
Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware Detection & Removal Software

I have the Malwarebytes Pro version which strangely enough is not listed on their product line ...

For a relatively small fee, you actually get a rather good protection service.
Scroll down on the linked page and compare the features between the Free and the Premium version

Now to *clean* your computer from any possible *leftover* stuff,
download CCleaner and run it. --- Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide! ---
download Privazer and run it. --- Free PC cleaner ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers