U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 PM

28,006 posts, read 16,306,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, clearing the logs will give you a clearer picture of what is going on.

Kinda like on a car that is giving you troubles.......and you have a bunch of PCM error codes in memory. Sometimes it is best to just clear them out and then watch for the ones that come back.

The events sometimes have a link that will show additional information about that particular error......or you can Google the main terms that comes up with the error.

How old is your hard drive??? I have found that many times older hard drives get bad spots on them....and that bad spot wipes out some of the operating system (low level format as reinstall cures this)......this will cause either the blue screen of death and/or shutdown. Do you regularly use Windows update and your PC manufacturers update......a buggy driver can cause a shutdown also.
I ran the bat and cleared the logs.

My hard drive is at least 2 years old (it was two years and a month that I've had it.)

I ran an update on Wendesday night/Thursday morning so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Have you checked the laptop's Power Options in the Control Panel, where you can set the criteria on when to make the laptop sleep or turn off if no activity occurs within a set amount of time?

Acers are not the most reliable, but at 2 years it's still too new to start having problems with it. I'm assuming this started happening recently, so somebody might have unintentionally changed the setting on the power options.

Every manufacturer's power options may be different, but they give you the options to control what you want the laptop to do at a set time interval.
I didn't alter the power options in a few weeks so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. I hasn't shut down at all since using my old cooling fan connected to the power chord or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:48 PM

16,955 posts, read 17,129,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I ran the bat and cleared the logs.

My hard drive is at least 2 years old (it was two years and a month that I've had it.)

I ran an update on Wendesday night/Thursday morning so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I didn't alter the power options in a few weeks so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. I hasn't shut down at all since using my old cooling fan connected to the power chord or not.

Glad things are running better.

I still have an Acer that I no longer use. It was actually a dang good computer while I was using it. Although my HDD started getting a little noisy and error-prone around the 3 year mark.

Windows Update can deliver needed updates that are NOT Windows products.....such as Acer Drivers. It depends on how you have Windows Update set up. I would suggest that you check your WU setting so that you will get updates for things besides Windows products.

Also, I would run over to Acer and check for newer drivers for your PC:

Acer | Download

Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 172 times
Hi, I have been using many Acer Laptops over the last 8-9 years, I have experienced this myself. I found that this was caused by a power issue caused by two audio drivers, if you go to control panel then device manager then open Sound and Video Controllers and I found if I uninstalled the Realtek driver and left the NVidia the problem was solved.
Good luck
Anthony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers