Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times

Advertisements

What the heck is up with that? It should have been ok until April 8,but no.... I got a stupid pop-up telling me support was ending on the 8th and telling me I had two options,to either upgrade or buy a new PC,but then it wouldn't update or go back to green[protected status color]! Stayed orange so I uninstalled it and downloaded AVG. Am picking up a new PC today.

BTW why is Microsoft ending support anyway? How long did they support WIN 98?I knew people were still having Win 98 installed in custom built systems just a few years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 05:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Because it's time for it to go, 13 years is a long run for an OS, it has flaws that can't be fixed. You can continue to use XP as long as you want, there just won't be any patches or updates to fix security issues.

FYI support for XP has outlasted any other modern Windows operating system, support for 98, 98SE, and ME was terminated in 2006.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Because it's time for it to go, 13 years is a long run for an OS, it has flaws that can't be fixed. You can continue to use XP as long as you want, there just won't be any patches or updates to fix security issues.

FYI support for XP has outlasted any other modern Windows operating system, support for 98, 98SE, and ME was terminated in 2006.
But '98 ran for decades without support. It and XP must be the only two decent OS Microsoft has come up with! Getting as bad as Apple,a new OS every 18 months! Just another money gimmick,IMO!

Aspyr who ports games for the Macs told me[when I called to ask about the lack of games for Macs] that's why they have no where near the number of games of a Windows system,is because for some crazy reason the OS changes about every 18 months.

And I still think it's dirty how they made their anti-virus stop working 6 days before the cut-off date!

Old 04-04-2014, 05:55 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
But '98 ran for decades without support.
As will XP. As I said, you can continue to use XP (for decades if you wish), it isn't going to stop working just because it reaches end of life. As far as the AV, as it was free you didn't lose anything, and you just switched to another free one. Security Essentials isn't all that great anyway.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
And I still think it's dirty how they made their anti-virus stop working 6 days before the cut-off date!
I'm sure they'll refund the money you paid for MSE.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Re:NHDave~Actually when I researched MSE the results I got, I believe from CNET, and others said it was better than many paid for anti-virus,is why I went with it 3 years ago,and it has kept my system safe,which no other free one ever did for that long,Avast,AVG,ect!

It even actually cleaned virus from 2-3 files,instead of just putting the file in quarantine,something I have never seen any other anti-virus product do,except Trend Micro!

I will be purchasing an internet security product,however.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
It's still working if it's orange, when it turns red , it's done.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It's still working if it's orange, when it turns red , it's done.
LOL,well it did not say protected and it had an exclamation point on it,so I just dumped it.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
I will be purchasing an internet security product,however.
There's no reason no purchase one.

Avast, AVG, and several others are quite good free options.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
What the heck is up with that? It should have been ok until April 8,but no.... I got a stupid pop-up telling me support was ending on the 8th and telling me I had two options,to either upgrade or buy a new PC,but then it wouldn't update or go back to green[protected status color]! Stayed orange so I uninstalled it and downloaded AVG. Am picking up a new PC today.

BTW why is Microsoft ending support anyway? How long did they support WIN 98?I knew people were still having Win 98 installed in custom built systems just a few years ago!
My Microsoft Security Essentials is updating as I type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers