Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 6,494 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what kind of experience you've had with parental control systems for Windows XP. We have an old PC here that our kid is asking about, since he sees us using ours professionally. Since mom and dad each have theirs, he figures he should have one to "work" too. My actual PC was already messed up by him with his games so installed Magic Desktop on it. Problem solved there, but now he keeps nagging me about it!

The problem I see here is that, this uses Windows XP, can't afford to install a new operating system here, and beside the fact that it was announced that it will be full of holes due to Microsoft not supporting it anymore, I really don't think it's up to par to have windows 7 or 8. So I'm stuck with this. Isn't there any kind of software I can install here to completely lock the pc from the internet and just show him games and whatnot like Magic Desktop does? Pretty simple stuff, this seems way too old for a sofware like that, I'm sure there has to be some simpler and lighter solution for this particular scenario, if anyone has something they can recommend, it would be awesome, I'm hoping to give him this old PC for Easter, I'm sure he'll be delighted and hopefully leave mine alone from that moment onward. Thanks!

Last edited by Soulvoice; 04-08-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: extra info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
How old is he?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
If you don't want him to have his own computer then tell him no and if you don' want him on yours tell him to stay off of it.
Password it and be done, he is the child, you are the parent and children really do not "need" their own computer.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
According to the Magic Desktop website, their product supports Windows XP. Install Magic Desktop, since you know how to use the program, and you should be good. You can completely stop all internet access by not connecting the computer to your wired/wireless network at home. Without Internet access you shouldn't have to worry about the security problems that will come up with Windows XP.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 6,494 times
My boy is 6 years old, and he's probably the most curious child I've ever seen, he pretty much wants to interact with everything in the house and he asks me to read him instruction booklets and stuff. I can just see him wanting to go into engineering when he grows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you don't want him to have his own computer then tell him no and if you don' want him on yours tell him to stay off of it.
Password it and be done, he is the child, you are the parent and children really do not "need" their own computer.
I couldn't disagree more with your general outlook even if I forced myself to disagree some more. I don't apply double-standards in my parenting because I don't think my kids should grow up with unfair reasonings. I want them to be able to understand responsability early on, so they can make their decisions like individuals rather than jarheads.

Besides, I asked for a technological solution, not a parenting one. I'm doing just fine on that end of the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
According to the Magic Desktop website, their product supports Windows XP. Install Magic Desktop, since you know how to use the program, and you should be good. You can completely stop all internet access by not connecting the computer to your wired/wireless network at home. Without Internet access you shouldn't have to worry about the security problems that will come up with Windows XP.
With that, I may have already found the solution, I had no idea! Thanks, I'll try it tonight. I'm just a bit worried that it may be too demanding in terms of specs, there are all sorts of bells and whistles there. As for your advice, I may just do that, after all I can't run the risk of bricking that computer for good, not at least until I can afford to get him his own spanking brand new, Windows 8 or something other computer. I really hope this is the end all be all solution, because if so, these guys just saved Easter!

Last edited by Soulvoice; 04-09-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers