Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times

Advertisements

I'm an accountant who uses Sage and Excel as my primary programs. Recently, my desktop was acting up and my employer replaced my PC with a Mac Mini running Parallels and Windows. It has only been a few days but it seems like my entire world has slowed down, it takes longer to load programs, longer to save them etc.

I am really not understanding what the benefits to this are. Everyone else in my dept runs on PC's with Windows, I'm the new experiment. Our other depts. have been slowly moving toward the Mac Mini but they are not running Parallels, I'm special I get to be the dang experiment.

Unfortunately our IT dept has now taken 8 days to get it up and running and my CFO is worried that it is not going to work well but due to all the issues getting it working we have not been able to really test it.

The reason we have issues is because our IT kid is the bosses son who while brite, has no formal training when it comes to maintaining networks etc.

Anyone run an environment like this successfully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
If they want to run just the Mac hardware, ask if you can use bootcamp. If they want you to run the Mac OS, ask if they can set you up a RDP session. RDP is a remote control session to a Windows computer. The computer can even be a virtual computer such as your virtual computer in Parallels. You need at least Windows Professional to run "Remote Desktop Protocol"

Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
The slowness might be caused by not deploying the necessary resources to the VM, or simply not having enough hardware resources to allocate.

If you have no business need for the setup, it seems really pointless to do what they did. If I would venture to guess, the "kid" you mentioned is probably just trying to do something he thinks is 'neat'. You can certainly make it work, but if there's no need - then its a waste.

Most organizations don't typically deploy hypervisors at the desktop (aside from testing or specific needs) given the extra resources it requires, they'd implement VDI/PCoIP (i.e VMWare Horizon/View), or use app streaming like Citrix.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
How much memory is in the Mini?
What is the CPU speed of the Mini?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How much memory is in the Mini?
What is the CPU speed of the Mini?
4gb memory, 500gb hard drive
Intel 3rd generation i5

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the techy side of a computer.

Techrat spent all day yesterday trying to get BootCamp to work and was unsuccessful and yes, unfortunately we have a lot of things here that he thinks are cool but has no idea how to maintain when 15 people are all trying to use it in a different capacity.

One of my Directors is not convinced this was a good idea but since it has taken 8 days just to get it up and running he is concerned we will hit a wall in regards to returning it if we decided I would be better off with a PC - thus the reason I am reaching out to those in the know

This morning while online to Yahoo it was unable to process and gave me that weird message option to kill the pages or try again

Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Anyone run an environment like this successfully?
I’m a die-hard Mac guy, but this sounds like a bad idea. If it were a design firm or similar company where everyone else was on a Mac it might make sense, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default You need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
4gb memory
You need more RAM.
8GB minimum.
Virtual machines eat memory faster than monkeys eat bananas.
On my iMac, VM Fusion and Windows 7 + 1 application use 3 GB.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Can't they just run the osx versions of the software? It's rather strange it won't work in bootcamp as the mac is then essentially just another windows box.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Can't they just run the osx versions of the software? It's rather strange it won't work in bootcamp as the mac is then essentially just another windows box.
I don't think the OP has tried Boot Camp yet.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Time to promote the IT son to IT manager and get a tech that an get things done. Bootcamp basically turns your Mac into a straight PC, my guess is they don't have the right version of Windows to install onto the Mac.

Can the implementation be successful, yes, but there should be a business reason as to why?

I doubt SAGE will develop for a Mac OSX, they'd send the money developing a web based solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers