U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 AM

21,798 posts, read 11,970,433 times

Advertisements

My wife's uncle passed away last month so we are in the process of cleaning out his house and sheds (farmer). He and his wife never had kids so he considered my wife and her siblings his kids.

On a shelf in his back room of his office was a brand new, in the box and still plastic wrapped Apple Lisa II computer.

I'm guessing it has to be from the mid 80's. Now this isn't unusual, my lawn mower came from him, he gave it to me last year. A brand new 1988 model toro. That's why he had sheds, to store his stuff in.

I have no idea what this thing is worth but I know we won't be removing the plastic.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM

12,422 posts, read 10,885,996 times
I checked eBay and see some open auctions for one's that work going for around $1,000 with time left to bid. So I'd say an unopened one could get a few thousand. List it on eBay with a reserve price maybe.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,803,737 times
Was this storage shed climate-controlled? Is it possible temperature-related issues could have had a negative effect if the shed was both too hot and too cold repeatedly for many years?

There are quite a few computer museums. Perhaps one of them would give you a valuation. I believe the most famous one is the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA.
http://www.computerhistory.org/

But there are several smaller ones that might be more amenable to inquiries from the general public or might be located near you. If you don't know yet if this works (but I would agree it's value to a collector is improved by the fact it was never removed from the original packaging, so you probably don't want to find out) maybe it would have more value to you if you donated it to someplace that would give you a tax deduction for it. Just Google "computer museum" to find some of the other ones. Boston, Seattle, San Diego, Providence, Bozeman, etc., etc.

Perhaps you've already found this link: http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/lisa/

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-08-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,301,412 times
Interesting read:
How Much is Your Old Mac Worth? Your Vintage Apple Computer Market Guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or