U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM

20,543 posts, read 20,523,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not really related to the subject of this thread, start a new one for help with that.
Sorry...just that the post from Mr 5150 previous mentioned it and I was reading this since I just got 8.1 this morning to top it all off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 PM

351 posts, read 349,965 times
Install a program called "Classicshell" and you will get the familiar old look back.
You can only down grade to Windows 7 if you have Windows 8 professional, and as you bought it from a store you unfortunately do not have the pro version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I had to buy a new laptop this morning. That's bad enough, the time it takes to get used to one and clean out all the crap but now I have to try to do it with the Win 8.1 that it came with.
I don't mind learning something new but so far I hate,hate, hate it!
Can I really downgrade back to 7?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 PM

5,319 posts, read 7,965,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Interesting. I see that this is now available in my Windows Update list. It's a whopping 887MB download.
I just updated my laptop with the new 8.1 update.

It took around 30 minutes to download over WiFi, and another 45 minutes to install.

I had to run the procedure twice, because the first time I ran it, it completed the download, and then failed around 10 - 15 minutes into the install process.

Not even sure why it failed? I didn't see any specific messages telling me the reason for failure.

Then after failing, it gave me a "retry" button.

So I hit this retry button, and it repeated the entire 30 minute download process again.

Thankfully the install completed successfully the 2nd time.

While it was installing, I found that the Windows 8 Update Process was nowhere near as informative as the old Windows XP Update Process.

And due to the enormous size of this update, it should have been called 8.2 or something like that?

You can tell you have the latest version by looking for a new Magnifying Glass icon (search) to the right of your name, in the Windows 8.1 screen:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/whats-new

Not sure why didn't they just give it a new name (or call it SP2), so it would be obvious in your computer's System Info?

Last edited by RD5050; 04-18-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,398,549 times
My company just forced 8 users to update to this new version of 8.1. I know there has to be some "old" 8.1 users out there, but I'm not sure we will have a way of telling.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
I had to buy a new laptop this morning. That's bad enough, the time it takes to get used to one and clean out all the crap but now I have to try to do it with the Win 8.1 that it came with.
HP still sells notebooks that have Win7 on them. You just have to order it.
Laptops, Tablets & Chromebooks

Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
Some notebooks now have a chip to prevent it. I have a NB that came with 8 and even with pulling the hard drive and doing a low level format to it, Win7Pro full version failed within a few seconds giving a failure code and coming to a dead stop. Yet when I put the Win8 DVD to restore it in, it loaded without any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or