U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 PM

157 posts, read 307,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Is that really a smart move though? The retail on Amazon at least is $486.00. You could buy 4 W7 OEMs for that price and still save! I doubt to many will use the same W7 disc more than 4 times.
As Skunk Workz pointed out, the Amazon example is just one reseller price gouging. The hidden price with the 4 Windows 7 OEMs is that you have to purchase 4 computers with it. That will end up costing you more in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,252,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
As Skunk Workz pointed out, the Amazon example is just one reseller price gouging. The hidden price with the 4 Windows 7 OEMs is that you have to purchase 4 computers with it. That will end up costing you more in the end.
Or you could just buy this Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 PM

157 posts, read 307,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Sure... but unfortunately you can't use it unless you purchase it with a computer or decide to pirate it. There' s another thread somewhere where someone else was discussing this.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,252,336 times
Quote:
Sure... but unfortunately you can't use it unless you purchase it with a computer or decide to pirate it. There' s another thread somewhere where someone else was discussing this.
Huh? What do you mean you can't? Last September I bought all the parts needed to build a computer, along with that, built my own computer and installed that and it worked fine, just like all the other times I have built my own computers and used OEM windows. I honestly don't even remember the last time I actually bought retail.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 4 days ago)

15,432 posts, read 8,953,427 times
I'm detecting that the OP isn't loving Windows 8. I don't myself. When I upgraded my Lenovo a couple of months ago, I bought one with Win 7 preinstalled and also included an option to switch it out to Win 8. Most Windows computers don't have Windows 7 on them anymore. So OP, I don't know if you're considering replacing your computer completely, but if you are, now might be a good time to buy a new one with the Win 7 OS on it.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
That is different. You certainly can buy a retail version of Windows and Install it on one Computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu.../dp/B00H09BB16

What you are refering to is when you buy a computer and IT comes with a Windows 7 disk. That Windows 7 is tied to that computer and is called an OEM version. This cannot be legally used on another computer.
A retail version does not work this way...

Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,239,815 times
This is the Win 7 / Win 8 licensing now, and I can't believe that MS says "retail" for the people who build their own computers but it does. They might make a Linux devotee outta me yet. hehe
Windows system builder licensing for personal use

What Microsoft won't tell you about Windows 7 licensing | ZDNet gives an explanation of each type of license. Says that banning the hobbiest from using OEM started with Vista in 2007, on page 2.

This is also interesting: Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft | ZDNet

What I did was two years ago bought off-lease HP Compaq Elite 8200 I5 computers with blank hard drives, 4GB RAM, and Win7 Pro COA stickers on the box. Then I downloaded Win7 ISOs from links given at My Digital Life or whatever it was called (found it w/ Google.) Burned Win7 Pro iso to DVD, installed, activated using the COA number on each box. Downloaded all the HP drivers & such from the HP site. Installed my own retail family pack Office 2007 or 2010. Each machine cost me about $280 shipped with keyboard & mouse, and I reused the monitors I had.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Who cares what they call it. At least pricing has remained the same... actually a bit cheaper. Win7 USED to be around $130. Now it's $99 as is Windows 8. So actually better pricing.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM

5,972 posts, read 8,440,156 times
OP here again!

I've made up my mind to forget about upgrading my already existing computer. I'm planning to buy a whole new computer by this summer hopefully!

I told myself no more Dells...had 4 & that's the brand of my 7-yr old desktop/main computer now & I just want something different.

I'd love to try Mac, but it's unfortunately not compatible with the work @ home projects I'm getting into.

I'm sure not tech savvy enough to build my own nor do I have time to learn all that.

I like HP, but Lenovo seems quite well-liked.

How's Samsung, Toshiba, & Sony VAIO? (Sure NOT getting Acer or eMachine.)

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 4 days ago)

15,432 posts, read 8,953,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP here again!

I've made up my mind to forget about upgrading my already existing computer. I'm planning to buy a whole new computer by this summer hopefully!

I told myself no more Dells...had 4 & that's the brand of my 7-yr old desktop/main computer now & I just want something different.

I'd love to try Mac, but it's unfortunately not compatible with the work @ home projects I'm getting into.

I'm sure not tech savvy enough to build my own nor do I have time to learn all that.

I like HP, but Lenovo seems quite well-liked.

How's Samsung, Toshiba, & Sony VAIO? (Sure NOT getting Acer or eMachine.)
OP, I'm just bought my second Lenovo. I had my first one three years and it still worked fine. It just started getting slow, so I bought my new one. Lenovos are known to be pretty reliable, all purpose workhorse computers. I like them better than the Dell and HP computers I've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or