Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP here again!

I've made up my mind to forget about upgrading my already existing computer. I'm planning to buy a whole new computer by this summer hopefully!

I told myself no more Dells...had 4 & that's the brand of my 7-yr old desktop/main computer now & I just want something different.

I'd love to try Mac, but it's unfortunately not compatible with the work @ home projects I'm getting into.

I'm sure not tech savvy enough to build my own nor do I have time to learn all that.

I like HP, but Lenovo seems quite well-liked.

How's Samsung, Toshiba, & Sony VAIO? (Sure NOT getting Acer or eMachine.)
I tried to break the Dell cycle. I really did. I looked at a bunch of the designer gamer PCs but most were just too much. So I bought another one a few months ago with 7 professional installed. Very smooth, fast and stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Just bought a Dell 17'' Inspiron entry level laptop with Win7 Pro. I needed WMC for recording TV shows. It's 3 times faster than my 4 year old Thinkpad X120 while costing $50 less. Hooked it up to a 55'' flat screen TV as a HTPC. So far so good, but I am weary of long-term reliability because it's made cheaply with plastic parts.

The recovery software on my Dell laptop is disabled, and Dell wants me to pay $39.99 for the recovery backup online.

Dell uses the newer 5mm hard drive on this model which is more expensive than the standard 9.5mm drives. Fortunately, I was able to make a clone with a 9.5mm hard drive and it works fine.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Dell does not disable the "Recovery Software". You might be thinking of the Online Storage stuff that Dell pushes on all new buyers. You are able to make a set of recovery discs. This cannot be disabled.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Dell does not disable the "Recovery Software". You might be thinking of the Online Storage stuff that Dell pushes on all new buyers. You are able to make a set of recovery discs. This cannot be disabled.
I am the one with the Dell laptop with the problem. Don't you think I know what I am talking about? This laptop will let me backup data only, not system recovery files. When I click on "system backup", it will not let me backup anything.

Instead it takes me to this page with the "upgrade to premium option". Even though the basic listed on the left says you can create system recovery on DVD, there is no way to do that.

The $39.99 premium option.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-22-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM

OK, I don't know what I am talking about. The option to backup system files in in another Dell software that I just saw.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
OK, I don't know what I am talking about.
Saved one of us from telling you that.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM

If you have a recently made Dell Inspiron laptop, clicking on the "Dell backup and recovery" icon on the desktop will take you to same confusing process that I went through. The software that lets me make recovery discs in My Dell > PC Checkup. That folder is inside the Dell folder. What Dell should have is put that on the desktop. I blame Dell more making things confusing.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:28 AM

157 posts, read 370,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Not illegal, but against the EULA (End User License Agreement). We have this little thing called innocent until proven guilty.

Just how many Microsoft customers have been proven to be guilty of violating its EULA? Answer: None.

So just how enforceable are EULA's? Well, sometimes the court will side with the company, and sometimes with consumers. Microsoft however hasn't tested thier EULA's in court.

This quote, taken from Windows Secrets, sums it up "If Microsoft truly considers the Windows EULA enforceable, you’d think the company would’ve taken at least one of the tens of millions of licensees to court. No doubt Microsoft has many reasons why it has avoided putting its putative contract to the test, but one in particular occurs to me.

Imagine the consequences if a U.S. court found — for whatever reason — that the Windows EULA isn’t enforceable against an individual Microsoft customer."

Yeah, I know that article was written in 2009, but I don't think Microsoft's enforcement of its EULA has changed as it bears repeating. "Imagine the consequences if a U.S. court found — for whatever reason — that the Windows EULA isn’t enforceable "

So as long as you have a license from Microsoft, for the version of the software you are using, you are good. Be it retail license, upgrade license, or OEM license, Microsoft isn't going to prosecute you for using the wrong type of license.

Now if you go and install one license on multiple computers. Or don't have a license at all. Then expect Microsoft to sue you if you are caught.
Actually, you are wrong. Violating copyright law is illegal. It is a violation of copyright law BECAUSE of the restrictions in the EULA. But that doesn't change that fact that it is against the law.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 AM

157 posts, read 370,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Regarding MS's convoluted, conflicting, ever-changing, esoteric OEM licensing all I can say is "whatever" (and one can interpret what that means to me personally and my usage of such software anyway they might like).
Why be ambiguous? It's not really trivial. Either you're a law-abiding individual or you are not.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am the one with the Dell laptop with the problem. Don't you think I know what I am talking about?
I've been in IT for 17 years, brother. 10PLUS years supporting mostly Dell laptops. At my last job supporting over 140 laptops, and about 90 desktops.
I know Dells. And I still support them today.
I certainly didn't mean to tick you off. Relax. We are only trying to help.

Quote:
This laptop will let me backup data only, not system recovery files. When I click on "system backup", it will not let me backup anything.
How about a pic of what you see when you click SYSTEM BACKUP?

Quote:
Instead it takes me to this page with the "upgrade to premium option". Even though the basic listed on the left says you can create system recovery on DVD, there is no way to do that.
So are you saying you click on STANDARD and it takes you to that screen? It clearly states you don't need Premium for that. When you click CANCEL on the screen, where does it take you?

In any event, you can ALWAYS use the built in Windows tools:
What are the system recovery options in Windows? - Microsoft Windows Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers