Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM

215 posts, read 607,147 times

Advertisements

How many of you just find it funny as hell when these so called computer 'experts' say your problem is this or that? I knew what was wrong with my computer and I merely took it up to BestBuy just to see what they said and they're like it's a motherboard problem. My motherboard was fine, it was just a glitch from me having overclocked it to much. What idiots. A simple CMOS reset was all it needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
You won't find 'experts' in best buy, unless they are shopping for a new TV

Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
"Bad motherboard" must be the default diagnosis at Best Buy. That means they worked on it for 10 minutes and couldn't figure it out so they say it's a motherboard and want $500 to replace it.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 AM

They told me, "I say it's the motherboard that's dead. We could send it off to our 'factory' and have them strip it down and look at it there and see what's wrong with it, but there's a $XXX charge and it'll take XXX amount of days." Nonsense, I'll just search it and fix it myself for free lol. Plus, if it breaks then there's a new excuse to buy new hardware XD.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Not funny at all, unqualified people manning their stores, ripping people off. There are already a couple threads discussing this.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
They were supposed to assume you had set it up improperly? For the computer that normally walks in ther door there that is not a normal problem, its all warantee on name brand boxes. You 'may' fnd experts at your local computer shop, but sure as hell not best buy or geek squad.
Obviously anything thats been overclocked is out of warantee and 'your motherboard is bad' IS actually a decent anwer, considering they dont want to put it back right, update the bios, clean and check eveything, send it out the door only to have johnny say it still is glitchy when they get it home from damage running it that way. Or should they have just fixed your screwup for free and threw in a donut?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
They were supposed to assume you had set it up improperly? For the computer that normally walks in ther door there that is not a normal problem, its all warantee on name brand boxes. You 'may' fnd experts at your local computer shop, but sure as hell not best buy or geek squad.
Obviously anything thats been overclocked is out of warantee and 'your motherboard is bad' IS actually a decent anwer, considering they dont want to put it back right, update the bios, clean and check eveything, send it out the door only to have johnny say it still is glitchy when they get it home from damage running it that way. Or should they have just fixed your screwup for free and threw in a donut?
That's a good point on this particular issue, and I wouldn't mind a donut

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's a good point on this particular issue, and I wouldn't mind a donut
Who's passing out the donuts? I want one too.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
I merely just took it in to see what they would say/do. I didn't actually leave it there. But true, they probaly don't get many high end custom built computers a lot. The guy was like "that's one big ass graphics card you got there, never seen one that big" lol.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Of course my first question is:

Who would purposely screw up a computer by overclocking, then go to the trouble to haul it down to BB and go through all this to begin with? So they could start a thread here about how bad BB is; hell they could just make it all up and I really suspect this is all pure BS, or someone that really really needs a social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers