U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Jza

234 posts, read 319,057 times

Advertisements

Every Toshiba laptop I've spec'd out for someone ran for years with no issue. Also Toshiba laptops that I've come across had the best bang for buck compared to other offerings. Bloatware's a non issue for me. Just uninstall it if it's an issue. The quality of the components and longevity is what matters to me. Toshiba been great in my experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,428,244 times
I've been happy with my Lenovo laptop that was just under $500. I've had it over a year now with no problems.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 PM

21,539 posts, read 24,660,490 times
In each manufacturer, you'll find a line of cheaply made computers. So you've got to look more at the specs rather than the name. IMO usually anything with a i5 processor or higher is going to have a better quality build than one that simply states Pentium. The only two companies I would stay away from completely are Dell and Acer. Past that per the OPs query a Toshiba is fine as long as you stay away from the low end units like the C series or Visions.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 AM

3,035 posts, read 3,375,450 times
For pc's - Lenovo (especially thinkpads) and asus. I'd avoid the rest, but a cheap laptop will probably break after a year or so regardless.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,688,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
For pc's - Lenovo (especially thinkpads) and asus. I'd avoid the rest, but a cheap laptop will probably break after a year or so regardless.
Not necessarily. I have a lowly little Acer Aspire that's been going strong for over 5 years now.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,214,321 times
If you are paying under $500, they are pretty much all the same. My Dells were $600-1200 and lasted for a while, my Thinkpads lasted for ever, and other people I know bought a $300 Lenovo and it still runs 3 yrs later.

When you pay below $4-500 for a laptop, you are pretty much paying for a disposable laptop, so expect 2-3 yrs beofe things start going wrong. In the end it is the support you are paying for that will affect the price.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,270,344 times
We just bought one Toshiba and two HP laptops over the weekend and I have never had any issue with either brand or Compaq. We also recently gave away 2 MacBook Air's and I am glad to have them out of the house.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
No matter what brand you ask abut there will be about a 50/50 split of people who like versus people who hate.
I don't like these questions.
I do like Toshiba though.

"Buy a Mac".... oy. SO sick of that crap. Gee, that was a helpful reply.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,239,815 times
TOSHIBA FORUMS - TOSHIBA FORUMS

^ Go there, and there's a Troubleshooting and also an Information subforum for the computers. Research the model(s) you are interested in and see what people are complaining about or having trouble with.

Mine are old, 2009-2010 models in the A505, U505, and L505 series. All Intel CPUs because the AMD machines ran hotter and seemed to have more problems with failing solder joints, presumed to be due to lack of ventilation in the cases. The first one that I bought brand new was a L505D with AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu, Windoes Vista, and it ran about hot enough to cook your breakfast on. I ran it summer 2009 - summer 2012 and had no problems, then sold it. My L505D-ES5034 (bought used) has a dead left button on the touchpad (quit working about 1 month ago) and I just use a USB mouse instead of repair it. Batteries, after a laptop is out of warranty I buy $25 batteries from ebay and they work great.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM

11,257 posts, read 44,291,933 times
Years ago, on a NYC business trip where I had previously been supplied a ThinkPad by the client (for their reasons of having control of the hardware/software used for the ongoing project), they didn't have one available for me to use.

In desperation, I walked down the street to one of the local hole-in-the-wall electronics retailers there and asked for the least expensive Laptop with the minimum features/software that would suffice for my project. I spent around $300 for a Toshiba loaded with Windows XP (new at the time) with no expectations that it would last for a long time. I'm not a computer geek ... didn't know what I was buying except that I needed a tool to use immediately, and I caught a lot of flack from the "experts" back at the company where I was doing my work about buying such an "off-brand cheapie". It didn't have a wireless capability, had to be hard-wired to a port to get access. It was adequately fast enough for my purposes and presentations.

I had an associate even chew me out for having bought a laptop that would absolutely not be up to the requirements of the project, she started rattling off all the features/speeds/memory that I would need to do the work. As she was the person who processed my billing hours and wrote the paychecks, and was the IT person I was working under, it was a pretty significant but*kicking. She wanted me to spend $2,000+++ or more on a laptop at a minimum to be able to produce my work product to their standards. Only ... I did my work, submitted my reports, invoiced the company ... and never had any shortcomings with the cheapie Toshiba. To this day, I don't know what more I needed to have to accomplish my work product, and the Toshiba was adequately durable, functioned without a hiccup for many days of constant use.

I used that laptop without any problems for a couple of years. The only reason it had to be replaced was that it couldn't support newer software that was being implemented by my clients. I gave it to a neighbor for their kids to use for school lessons (home schooling software) and word processing, farm records, etc.. Due to their church beliefs, the laptop is never connected online, only uses floppy's and CD's. But it is still in service, with days on end of K-12 students using it from morning to evening, and then the parents use it for their farm business records/billings. I advised them that there was a known problem with the power cord plug-in connector being weak at the circuit board, so they needed to be careful with that. It's still in service, many years later.

Followed up with two more Toshiba laptops. After my first experience with one, I bought their lower end laptops targeted to student use on "back to school specials" with the upgraded software needed at the time and upgraded memory as needed purchased in the aftermarket (easy to install plug it in).

I still haven't spent over $300 on a Toshiba laptop, and the hardware/software upgrade requirements for my use change faster than any issues have ever come up with the laptops. These laptops get carried around and used for client presentations, downloading project specs, and misc business uses (invoices, receipts, tax records, etc).

I've done trade shows, downloaded sizable architectural bid plans documents, made hundreds of power point presentations, and yet to have one second worth of trouble with my Toshiba's. I can't speak as to the reliability and durability of other brands that I haven't used, but these have been real workhorses for me at a minimal cost. I wouldn't have any cause at this point to switch to another brand ... and I now have my choice of any at wholesale cost due to family connections in the IT biz.

As a pro user, I've never had an issue with the Toshiba's. I surf the 'net extensively with them for business use, and they've performed well. However, I've never used them for gaming or similar entertainment purposes, so I don't know if they will work for this purpose.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-14-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or