Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 AM

157 posts, read 369,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So how long have you been using them?
I got my first pair (black, dev) at Google IO last year. The arm with the battery broke when I ran over them with my chair. Google sent me a white consumer as a replacement. When I have them in my possession I wear them for a few hours/day. But they spend a lot of time being lent out... and honestly, I don't miss it when I don't have it.

I just learned that Concur has an official Glass app. If more useful apps like that come out... then I might want to use it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,953,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
I got my first pair (black, dev) at Google IO last year. The arm with the battery broke when I ran over them with my chair. Google sent me a white consumer as a replacement. When I have them in my possession I wear them for a few hours/day. But they spend a lot of time being lent out... and honestly, I don't miss it when I don't have it.

I just learned that Concur has an official Glass app. If more useful apps like that come out... then I might want to use it more.
How does the screen look? Is it as readable as if you were looking at a normal monitor from a foot away?

Can you browse the web, just like you would on a regular tablet or computer?

How do you control what you see on the screen? What do you use instead of a mouse or touch screen?

I just can't picture how it actually works, and how you would control it?

Old 04-18-2014, 01:18 AM

157 posts, read 369,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
How does the screen look? Is it as readable as if you were looking at a normal monitor from a foot away?

How do you control what you see on the screen? What do you use instead of a mouse or touch screen?

The screen is perfectly useable. You can read everything clearly. The resolution is low - similar to what monitors were like before "retina"-like screens.

You can browse the web for the most part. Reading, viewing pictures, and watching video is easy. Without a keyboard, typing is limited.

You control what you see on the screen with a combination of the touchpad and voice input.

If you've ever used a laptop with a touchpad, you can imagine what it is like to control it.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,503,635 times
I'm going to get one for work sooner or later. One word of warning for anyone who is planning to buy these, they record and post videos very easily. We've already had people in our company use them and inadvertently post a recording of what they were looking at.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:

A lot of it is voice activated, but my understanding is that some functions are performed by touching the temples.

From the video I saw yesterday, it looks a lot like Robocop's display. There can be text, pictures, etc. but they are transparent so you could see what was going on behind it. It featured a doctor who wore them on his rounds and during surgery and he could look at patient data, vitals, etc. But he could still see to operate.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
The screen is perfectly useable. You can read everything clearly. The resolution is low - similar to what monitors were like before "retina"-like screens.

You can browse the web for the most part. Reading, viewing pictures, and watching video is easy. Without a keyboard, typing is limited.

You control what you see on the screen with a combination of the touchpad and voice input.

If you've ever used a laptop with a touchpad, you can imagine what it is like to control it.
Thanks for the above info.

I also tried looking on Google's website, and they are not very good about describing the web browsing ability.

It looks like the display can just show a few sentences at a time, for things such as news headlines, sports scores, etc.

I also saw the right stem has a large block on the end. I'm guessing that's the touch pad you are referring to.

So to me, it doesn't look like it can truly work like a tablet in terms of web browsing. You would still need a tablet or smart phone if you wanted to view a full website.

It looks like it's designed mostly to assist with answering questions about traffic directions, provide descriptions of places you may be visiting, send text messages, and take photos and video.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-18-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
A lot of it is voice activated, but my understanding is that some functions are performed by touching the temples.

From the video I saw yesterday, it looks a lot like Robocop's display. There can be text, pictures, etc. but they are transparent so you could see what was going on behind it. It featured a doctor who wore them on his rounds and during surgery and he could look at patient data, vitals, etc. But he could still see to operate.
Yes, I can see how it can be very useful for some people, like doctors.

I found a good detailed review of Google Glass here:

Google Glass review | Gadgets Reviews | TechRadar

Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, I can see how it can be very useful for some people, like doctors.

I found a good detailed review of Google Glass here:

Google Glass review | Gadgets Reviews | TechRadar
He could also keep up on Mad Men and no one would be the wiser.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,418,547 times
i have one.

it's nice but the little screen is really not meant for web browsing. it's mean to do some quick informative research if you want to read something really quickly, etc.

in my opinion, it's best for getting quick pieces of data such as your calendar, weather, sports scores, driving directions, taking pictures/videos, etc.

as for some of the negative stuff in this thread...i think the whole camera and spying thing is overblown. if i really wanted to take surreptitious video of you i would use my cell phone and hold it casually down with my hands or clip it to my belt, not a big camera that's staring right at you on my face.

it's definitely new technology but it will be interesting to see some new apps come online.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,188,685 times
google's business practices are somewhat questionable lately... no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers